Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lecorbeau

New Triad Swap

K
17 years ago

There will be a swap at Triad Park, between Kernersville and Colfax, Saturday, June 17, from 10:00. It may not be very large, but it will be a beginning for the Triad that we can build on in the following years. For the first one, please bring a bag lunch. I will provide water and lemonade.

Everyone is welcome to come whether you have plants or not. We are looking into visiting a plant place nearby after the swap for those who are interested: Piedmont Farmers' Market? Any other suggestions?

For those who are interested, I will be bringing a variety of hostas (see my list)

a few lacecap hydrangeas (very small)

a daylily (Little Business)

confederate rose cuttings

one Don Juan rose

thornless blackberry

Do check my list, because there are other possibilities.

Kitty

Here is a link that might be useful: Triad Park

Comments (53)

• ferndottar
    17 years ago

Great idea! We will try to be there. We have a bunch of plumeria we forgot to take to John`s swap. I think we can round up a load of stuff. We have many Jack in the Pulpit if anyone wants some.
    Thanks,
    Dawn

• shari1332
    17 years ago

I wish that I could afford to go. That stone sounds cool. Just too far away with the price of gas.

• K
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dawn, I'd love one of your Jack in the pulpits! Check my list to see if there's anything that interests you.
    Kitty

• puddle_of_mud
    17 years ago

Okay, I've got ya Dawn! I've already got Kitty's stone made! Whose next?!

Oh, can I have a Jack in the pulpit too? I LOVE those!

• basil_davis
    17 years ago

carolinakate , You didn't say where in Triad Park.

puddle_of_mud , What do your stone look like? How big? You got a net picture of your stones?

• K
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, right!! The offices have been closed for the long weekend, so I'll be calling tomorrow to see if we can't reserve one of the smaller gazebo shelters.
    Please check back tomorrow night.
    And thanks for reminding me!
    Kitty

• puddle_of_mud
    17 years ago

Hi Basil!

Thanks for asking about my little garden stones. It's almost midnight, but I was so thrilled that you wanted to know about them, I ran right out and took this photo. They are covered in brown gunky stuff because I painted them with a mixture of buttermilk and moss mud. That's why they look wet as well. I have to keep misting them for the moss to grow. I'd love to make one with your name on it! Will you be coming to the swap? (Yes, the trough is mine also):) {{gwi:575764}}>
    Cami

• ferndottar
    17 years ago

I will save a jack in the pulpit for each of you, Kitty, and Puddle. I would love some columbine seeds or anything that smells good. I would also be very happy with some butterfly bush cuttings.
    Thanks!
    Dawn

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    17 years ago

So glad to find this post. We have already spoken, but just want to say I love the trough! PS: Can I have some Penstemon 'Sour Grapes'? That was my gr-grandfather's nickname, translated from the French Vine-de-gras. He was bitter over the lack of recognition he got from the wood carvings he made for the balastrads and pulpit in the Cathedral de Notre Dame in Montreal back in the 1880's, the procedes which helped furnish his train fare to the USA in 1894 to emmigrate with wife and 12 kids in tow to Fall River, MA. What a journey!

• puddle_of_mud
    17 years ago

Penstemon 'Sour Grapes' is yours Robin! Dawn, I've got a white butterfly bush with your name on it, do you want a purple and a pink too? I don't have the purple or pink rooted but I could bring you some clippings dipped in root hormone?

• K
    Original Author
    17 years ago

First, I was unable to get the park on the phone today, so the actual meeting place in the park remains to be decided. I'll try again tomorrow.

Dawn, I will bring you columbine seeds. The fragrant plants I have would be the confederate rose and the tea olive, both of which I can take cuttings from. Let me know if interested. I also have one Don Juan rose (red moderate climber)already rooted that I'm bringing.

Puddle, I forgot to ask if you have enough penstemon left to give me some.

Quirkpod, is there anything on my list you would swap for some sweet autumn clematis? And didn't I promise you some lacecap hydrangea?

Kitty

• puddle_of_mud
    17 years ago

Kitty,
    I think I can dig up a little extra Penstemon for you too.

Try not to worry too much about the shelter, I'll make and post a sign near the tables if we can't get the word out to everyone in time. Also, if we call the Thursday before the swap, and they happen to have an open shelter for the following Saturday, we can get it for free. If not, there's always picnic tables. I'll get there early enough to grab the ones in the shade, then post my signs.

We're going to make this work, and it's going to be a blast!

• basil_davis
    17 years ago

puddle_of_mud,

I like your little garden stones. Is it much trouble to put date and triad plant swap in smaller letters on the stone?

I read the Hypertufa form sometimes but have not had time to try yet.

I plant to be at the swap as a vistor not as a swaper(have nothing to trade).

• puddle_of_mud
    17 years ago

Basil,
    You're more than welcome at the swap.
    I'll see what I can do about the stone. Sometimes they turn out and sometimes they don't.

You should join me at the tufa table sometime. I think you might like making Hypertufa planters and such.

Perhaps we could have a Hypertufa class at the next plant swap.

• basil_davis
    17 years ago

So far not many people say they coming?

I don't see the swap posted on Dave's Gardens.
    Maybe you get more people if you post the swap at more places?

• puddle_of_mud
    17 years ago

So far, we have half a dozen coming, possibly more. Not bad for our first swap!!!

Maybe you could take care of that for us Basil. If you would like to post an invite at Dave's Garden, please do. This is YOUR swap too! I am not a member over there - it's all I can do to keep up with GardenWeb and still get work done around here! :)

• ferndottar
    17 years ago

Hi!
    Puddle, I would love the white butterfly bush and also any cuttings you have of other kinds. We had hundreds of butterflies on our pale purple one last year, I don`t think you could have too many!
    Kitty, thank you in advance for bringing the columbine seeds. I would love some cuttings of the confederate rose and the tea olive. If you still have the rooted Don Juan would be tickled to have that too. Greedy, I guess.
    Does anyone want some brugmansia cuttings? Also I could dig some small sassafras if someone wanted them. I did this successfully last fall, then let them die of dehydration during the winter, used to Seattle weather.
    Hope you all got some rain today!
    Dawn

• puddle_of_mud
    17 years ago

Dawn, I put your name on the white butterfly bush. I think the brugmansia are beautiful. I'd love one if you wouldn't mind telling me how to care for it. Does it root in water? Or ? I know nothing about them.

• rosebush
    17 years ago

Puddle,
    Those garden stones are quite the incentive! Tell me, would you have a red camellia (or pink) that you would be willing to trade for some variegated weigelia cuttings? PLMK Rosebush

• K
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oops! Dawn, I will gladly bring you cuttings of confederate rose, but it has no fragrance at all. I meant to say confederate jasmine for fragrance. I can bring both if you like and the tea olive. None of these are rooted yet.

The Don Juan rose is now yours.

Kitty

• puddle_of_mud
    17 years ago

I'm sorry, Rosebush, I just planted my Camellias this past April. I could take some cuttings if you wanted to try to root them, (I hear they can be difficult). BUT, I got my camellias from a man at the Farmer's Market for $10 each, they are a pretty nice size too.

AND, since the Farmer's Market is within 3 miles of the swap park, (Triad Park) we would like to take a little side trip after the plant swap. Are you game? I would love to put "Rosebush" or your name on a garden stone today? :)

Photo of pink, white, and red Camellias from the Farmer's Market.
    {{gwi:575767}}

• puddle_of_mud
    17 years ago

If You're coming to the swap on the 17th and I don't have your name yet, please shoot me an email so I can make a name stone for you. Thanks!

• basil_davis
    17 years ago

puddle_of_mud,

You got my name?

• puddle_of_mud
    17 years ago

Hi basil,

I've got a stone with the word "basil" on it, and I've got another one that says, "Triad Plant Swap" with the date of the swap. Want one of those, or do you have another name you'd like to have written in stone? :)

• basil_davis
    17 years ago

Both stones OK.

• carla17
    17 years ago

I would love to come but too far away right now and I am sick. I missed the Rutherfordton swap last year too. Darn. I'll make it one of these days.
    Hope ya'll have lots of fun.

Carla

• puddle_of_mud
    17 years ago

That's too bad, Carla. Hopefully, we can have another plant swap in the fall, and you'll be able to make that one.

• K
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's getting close now. Sorry I haven't been back on to say the specific meeting place, but I haven't been able to call during the reservation times. Puddle_of_mud says she'll be taking care of the call, but if you know the park, Puddle, maybe you have an idea of the parking lot nearest the shelters.
    I've looked on the Guilford County GIS site to try to get an idea of the layout (never been to the park, myself), and I'll try to link to a picture.
    I'm excited about this little swap. A good beginning, I think. Also, I hope we can find the same vendor at the Farmer's Market that you found Cami! Sounds like a great deal.
    Here's what I understand that I have agreed to so far:

For you Ferndottar, I will bring:
    columbine seeds
    confederate rose cuttings
    tea olive cutting
    one rooted Don Juan rose
    confederate jasmine cuttings

You have for me:
    Jack in the Pulpit
    (I didn't answer your earlier post, but would love a sassafrass seedling and a brug if other than frosty pink or yellow - I have those.)

Puddle of Mud, for you I have a tulip poplar.
    Wasn't there anything else?

You have for me:
    penstemon
    one of those fantastic stones you make

I will also be bringing:
    hostas
    hydrangeas
    daylily 'Little Business'
    more confederate rose cuttings
    acuba cuttings
    more confederate jasmine cuttings
    seeds of several plants

Check the picture below - it's from a 2003 aerial, so there is probably more development in the park now.

{{gwi:575770}}

I can label this and repost it when we decide where to meet.

Kitty

• puddle_of_mud
    17 years ago

There's a little shelter in the morning shade I want to put a deposit on. Follow the yellow brick road below...

New Triad Plant Swap, Triad Park, Saturday June 17, 10:00 AM.

{{gwi:575773}}

• puddle_of_mud
    17 years ago

Dawn - I have for you
    White butterfly bush
    pink and purple butterfly bush cuttings
    garden stone

you have for me -
    Jack in the pulpit
    brugmansia cuttings
    Plumeria too please? :)

Kitty - I have for you
    penstemon 'sour grapes'
    Fothergilla cuttings
    Garden stone (Let me know the name of your friend coming with you so she can have a stone too).

You have for me -
    tulip poplar
    daylily 'Little Business'
    confederate rose cutting

Rosebush - I will bring cuttings of pink and, red camellia, and I have your garden stone made. Do you have some weigelia cuttings for me?

Basil - I have two garden stones for you

Mia - I have your garden stone made also.

...Anybody else coming? Please let me know, so I can make your garden stone.

quirkpod - THANKS for the trade! I LOVE my sweet autumn clematis! Sorry you have to miss the fun! Shari, Carla, hope you can make the fall swap.

• basil_davis
    17 years ago

Carla,

Sorry you going to miss the swap.
    How long you been sick?
    What the problem?

• carla17
    17 years ago

Basil, I live in Hickory, NC. I have Mono of all things. I had a hip replacement in Dec., pnuemonia in March and now Mono. I am falling apart. I am sorry to miss the swap and would love some Penstemon. Dirtrx, I think sent me some fabulous seeds from a swap in the fall. I am anxious to meet you people!! Quirk, thanks for the note.

Carla

• K
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Carla,
    So sorry to hear you're not well. There was someone else from the Hickory area, I think, that expressed an interest in coming. Maybe you could contact her to bring back some plants for you. If she has decided to come, let me know, and I'll send some from my list if there are any that you would like.
    Kitty

• K
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Cami, I knew there was something else I had for you. The daylily is ready to go. I also have plenty of confederate rose cuttings.
    Dawn, the confederate rose cuttings will root in water, but I'm not so sure of the best way to do the others. I have the tea olive cutting in water, but I got some rootone yesterday. Do you think it would root better if I used that and put it in a pot of soil?
    Kitty

• puddle_of_mud
    17 years ago

That's great Kitty! I know I'll love the daylily and confederate rose!

If your buddy would like a garden stone, please email me her name, okay?

I'll try to call the park tomorrow, and get the little shelter in the shade.

• basil_davis
    17 years ago

carolinakate,

In your profile, you say you in school full time.
    What you studing?

• K
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi, Basil. I'm studying bioenvironmental engineering. I'm hoping to squeeze in enough classes next fall and spring to finish up next May.
    Cami, I'm trying to get in touch with Lisa to make sure she is still planning to come. I'll let you know when I hear from her.
    Kitty

• puddle_of_mud
    17 years ago

Okay! Thanks, Kitty!

• rosebush
    17 years ago

Puddle,
    Not sure I'll make the swap, but have been trying to root the weigelia for you. Will let you know by Friday. Thanks!rosebush

• puddle_of_mud
    17 years ago

Okay Rosebush, sure hope you can come...thanks for trying to root the weigelia for me - I have pink and red camellias in root hormone and potting soil for you - I hope, I hope, oh how I hope they make it... do you want a white one too?

• ferndottar
    17 years ago

Hi there,
    Brugmansias root well in water. I will bring some orange, some white ones, and some cream ones. I`ve only seen the cream one bloom, as I grew the other ones from seed last year and they are just now getting up to size. So I`ll bring some of them for Puddle and Kitty, and I will find a sassafras for you , Kitty.
    Anyone want a few small Virginia Cedars? We have a few up by the garden that are in danger of being lawn mowered.
    Se you soon!
    Dawn

• K
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dawn, thanks!

For anyone who's interested, I've found a few seedlings of echinacea that I've potted up. Some of them may be 'White Swan', but I doubt it. I'll divide that one in the fall for another swap.

Rosebush, if you do come, would you be interested in swapping some of my hosta for some of your plants? I'm interested in the hyssop and the orange daylilies.

K.

• puddle_of_mud
    17 years ago

Hello Ya'll,
    I walked around the Farmer's Market today and found that there will be a lady there next weekend, (our plant swap weekend) who has over 200 types of daylily. She'll be bringing in all that will be in bloom next Saturday! I picked up a blueberry bush today, but I don't think it's the 'Rabbiteye' blueberry which is what I was really looking for.

Anyway, I'm getting so excited and can't wait for Saturday and our very first Triad Plant Swap! Yippeee ...

• rosebush
    17 years ago

K-
    Which hyssop? I think I have four kinds of agastache now. I have LOTS of orange daylilies and will bring them if I come.

• K
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Rosebush,
    Any one of them would be great. I've sent you an e-mail.
    Hope you can come.
    Kitty

• Tammy Owens
    17 years ago

How does this swap work? I have a few things I might be able to bring. I am actually supposed to be going to the raleigh farmers market to pick up some roses on that day but I might be able to swing by there too.

Tammy

• K
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tammy, we haven't really discussed how we'll go about it. Several have pre-arranged swaps, so those plants will be kept aside. The rest will probably go on the tables. After talking a while we'll start the swap. First round each person chooses one plant, regardless of whether he brought plants or not. Repeat until plants are gone.
    This is just an idea. Do you have any better ideas? The only swap I went to, I got to after the trading, so I have no experience.
    Do bring a bag lunch and water and lemonade will be provided.
    Hope you decide to come.
    Kitty

• rosebush
    17 years ago

Sorry, guys, not going to make this one. Hope ya'll have fun. Puddle, the weigelia is not looking so hot, but I'll take some more cuttings and keep trying. Rosemary

• Tammy Owens
    17 years ago

I am hoping it goes well enough to do it again in the fall. I seriously doubt I will be able to make this one :( And I had a few things I would trade. I even have bunches of plant magazines I would have brought just to give away. I love gardening!!!!! I love reading about plants! I love buying plants! I love planting plants! Right now my passions are roses and brugs. Shoot, I am just gonna have to try harder to make it tomorrow! Could someone bring a camera? It would be great to see what when on, especially for those who coulnd't make it.

Tammy

• puddle_of_mud
    17 years ago

Hi Tammy,

I see on your page that you are in High Point, Part of the reason we are doing the plant swap is to meet with other people who love to garden. We sure would love to meet you. We also plan to hit the Triad Farmer's Market, just after the swap. It's really close to the park (within three miles). I don't have an awful lot potted up to trade, but I'm bringing some of my crete butterfly baths, and Hypertufa troughs to put on the trade table as well. (They won't be large ones, though just the smaller size).

Anyway, I'm going to be at the park at 7:00 a.m. to get things ready for the swap. If you can, try to stop by and say hello.

I will also try to get photos to post here later in the weekend, so keep watching this thread! :)

I'm off now, to load up my truck, so I can be ready in the morning! :)