Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plagio

Common landscape plants need ID -- please

plagio
14 years ago

Hi All, I am just getting started with some landscaping. I went out to Broadwell's in Angier, NC, which has been mentioned on this forum before, as a great place to get cheap plants, it's where landscapers, go. A lot of their plants are pretty common varieties. I got these to do a grouping, and I know one of them is Nandina, but I would be very grateful if someone could ID the others so I can google them and figure out spacing and all. Also, do you think my Nandian is a dwarf? I think I got good prices on these, probably $3.50 to $5 a pot, I think. Thank you.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jgbarzyk/PlantsFromMay30?feat=directlink

Comments (10)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    14 years ago

I haven't looked yet but just wishing you a Happy Birthday tomorrow!

• dottie_in_charlotte
    14 years ago

It's hard to see but the burgundy ones in front may be loropetalum unless they have spines..then they are barberry.
    What's in the rear..the varigated ones look like varigated euonymous which grow huge and wide so need a lot of space or annual shearing. The others I just can't see the leaves well enough to identify.

• plagio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you -- and thanks for the b-day wishes.

I will try to get some closer up shots. I should have realized that they would be hard to see that way.

I will google what you mentioned and see if that's what they are!

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

That looks like variegated Ligustrum sinense behind the barberry.

• plagio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you. Thanks to you I have found what I have (despite my terrible picture) is:

Nandina (don't know if it is full size or dwarf)
    Loropetalum
    Ligustrum sinensis 'Variegata'

And one unknown.

I appreciate it.

Julia

• aezarien
    14 years ago

I have that variety of Ligustrum. It grows extremely fast and needs a little elbow room. The honey bees love it though so it will draw pollinators to your flowers. :)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    14 years ago

yeah, ligustrum...that's what I meant. Grows fast like privet and makes a good screen but needs a lot of room.

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Ligustrum=privet (one is the scientific name and one is the common name). But maybe you knew that, dottie.

Luckily this variegated version doesn't seem to set seed; it's parent, the plain green one, of course seeds like crazy and is the number 1 invasive plant in the SE (sneakier than kudzu!).

• DYH
    14 years ago

We just finished pulling out all the variegated ligustrum (privet) on our property because they are listed as invasive. We tried for several years to keep them trimmed to keep them from blooming. After another recent reminder about the invasiveness, we pulled all of them out. On the positive side, I planted salvia and agastache for hummingbirds in the empty space.

Cameron

• plagio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, what a wealth of information. So, I guess it will do the job now of filling up some space in our bed. I will gladly pull them later if need be and thank goodness they don't reseed themselves.

As I am sure you all know, starting from scratch is a huge project and we wanted to make the beds large because of all the work involved -- then we won't have to expand later. On the other side of the bed we are putting some camellias (I really like those) and leaving blank space but the side with this grouping I kind of wanted to "fill" with something nice looking but inexpensive, etc. We did a very large concrete block veggie garden in the back this year, too, so we are undertaking a lot, for us.

I definitely don't want something like kudzu taking over, but it sounds like it will be OK as long as I am willing to pull them out later. By then I will probably know more about which plants I want there.

Today we tilled and started planting.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting