Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
transplanted2scin07

Gardeners Anonymous

I finally admitted to my husband that plants are like drugs to me and that I am addicted.

He says it's time for an intervention...

Comments (18)

• joydveenc7
    15 years ago

I prefer denial.

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

So what? :) Do ALL addictions have to be bad?

• catc
    15 years ago

Someone on another forum called it CHAD - Compulsive Horticultural Acquisition Disorder. I've got it bad, but I'm not looking for a cure.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

As TJohn has said before, we're what puts the 'hore' in horticulture!. :) I need a 12 step, but i figure it's a better vice than most, so...

• karen__w z7 NC
    15 years ago

Tammy, that's exactly what they told me at the Garden Center this afternoon! (being a better vice, that is...)

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

Did everyone know that yesterday was "Garden Naked Day"!! not just locally or nationally, but GLOBALLY!!! Today, I am dealing with a nasty sunburn... ouch

• shari1332
    15 years ago

Well I know there are worse vices but gardening and these forums have literally been a pain in the neck to me these last few months:(That being said I also went to Plant Delights yesterday to get even more plants to feed the addiction:)

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

The forums have been a pain in the neck?

• shari1332
    15 years ago

My posture while sitting and staring at the screen. I aggravated arthritus/disc problem while digging this past Nov and I have to be careful doing just about anything these days.

• rootdiggernc
    15 years ago

Hmm...prolly not safe for GA to show itself around here. We can be a rowdy bunch!!

LOL Tammy, that sounds like a T-shirt slogan!! :)

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Root- that's what John keeps saying. I told him if he makes a batch up i'll be first in line!

John- i don't wanna know if you were out there nekkid. ; P

Shari, my posture suffers awfully because i spend so much tine in front of the comp. It's one of the reasons i sit on an exercise ball instead of an office chair. It does help some w/work, but then when i get to surfing, i lean forward or on my elbows and hunch since i don't have to use 2 hands like i do to work. Self defeating. I hope your disc problem eases up for you soon.

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

Shari I figured it was something like that. Sorry to hear you are having pain. :(

• shari1332
    15 years ago

Thanks y'all. I'll figure out the best way to manage it eventually. I went out and did some planting after that post:)Kinda like the way somebody described it in the "Why is it" thread,lol. On a positive note, my DH is hiring out the lawn mowing and weed eating. That's almost like winning the lottery for me!

• laurabs
    15 years ago

I was happy to help all you addicts this weekend that showed up to shop at PDN. I am happy to report that the closest we got to nekkid customers was the guy in the kilt.

I observed that sometimes addicts marry addicts, and other times the spouse is just an enabler. I'm pretty sure we had enablers that spent 7 hours supporting the spouse's habit (which we appreciate very much).

:oD

• amyflora
    15 years ago

Those of us at BB also saw all sorts of signs of people's addictions. These folks were not in recovery AT ALL!! It was a mad house!! I brought some lavender plants up to the registers to try a little aromatherapy for them and us, but I'm not sure how much it helped.

I would be second in line for the TJohn t-shirt. It would work well with my Annie's Annuals Flower Floozie shirt!

• dirtrx
    15 years ago

Wouldn't it be nice if the whole world were afflicted with this addiction? I am proud of my addiction/affliction and I try to infect every person I can. No one is safe.

I wanna shirt. We could all don them after "Garden Naked Day". Shannon

• tamelask
    15 years ago

I was so proud recently - i made a total convert, at least of edible stuff- of one of my clients who prior to now didn't know or care what anything was. I still have work to do with the ornamentals on him, but baby steps...

• zigzag
    15 years ago

Well, now I can stand proud too!

Yesterday my DIL called and thanked me for turning her on to gardening! She's now an addict and my son (her husband) is a willing enabler and does all the heavy lifting! DIL just completed the Master Gardener course in her county - her head is still spinning.

Just last summer they moved to a new/old house with 2 acres and totally protected conservation type land on all four sides so the sky's the limit for them!

I'm so proud! :o)