Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jqpublic_gw

Liatris Seedlings or Nutsedge/Weed?

jqpublic
15 years ago

So we have these Liatris that have been growing in a bed for several years. I think we have seedlings. They look like the Liatris sort of...the leaves are a little lighter green and ridged in the middle. The base of the stems are reddish purple. I am not sure. I pulled a few up and they have little white mini-onion-looking things attached to some of the roots. What do you think? Thanks!

Comments (13)

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Nutsedge roots are not "white mini-onion-looking things"

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:576346}}

• carolinabluesky
    15 years ago

Can't be certain without seeing but they sure sound like liatris seedlings. Just leave them in and you'll be able to tell in a short time. They are great multipliers.

• jqpublic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I heard nutsedge has node type things attached to their roots, so I was nervous that it could be that. Does anyone have a good picture of a Liatris seedling? Thanks so much!

• aezarien
    15 years ago

The site below has a few photos of Liatris seedlings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Powel Gardens

• jqpublic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hmmm looks like I transplanted a lot of weeds next to my shed...the flower bed I got them from must have been infested with something. I guess I will have to wait and see when they flower if they are nutsedge or smthg else. Thanks aezarien!

• Claire Pickett
    15 years ago

Sedges have a triangular stem...that's how they are distinguished from grasses, I believe.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

I've heard, too, that 'sedges have edges', tho i can't recall the second part of the rhyme about grasses. Something comes to mind but it has to be wrong- LOL.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

"Sedges have edges, rushes are round, and grasses are hollow right up from the ground".

I have never seen baby liatris, but I would not have thought they looked like the seedlings in the pictures linked above.

• iloveflowersinpa
    15 years ago

I have a bed with liatris sprouts, and they DO look a little like nutsedge. However, nutsedge sets seeds in such a way that you can't miss it. The little node-like things you saw are called nutlets, and always accompany sedge. The picture above didn't have any of the deeper rhizomes from which the nutlets form.

Liatris leaves are a little darker green and not as 'edgy' and are a little floppier than sedge.

• jqpublic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the update. We noticed it was sedge after-all. Sad because it was growing in a bed full of liatris. Oh well. We'll try again I guess?

• aezarien
    15 years ago

Sorry to hear it wasn't what you thought it was. At least it didn't turn out to be poison ivy or something right?

• tietie
    15 years ago

sorry about your nutsedge, it can be difficult to get rid of. I have seen it come up through asphalt and super thick layers of wet newspaper. Roundup doesn't do much to it, if that is the way you are inclined, but image works better. If you pull it up this time of the year then the little 'nuts' break off the roots and remain in the ground to sprout next year. Spring is the best time to pull it up, before the nuts form. Also, a weedeater is the best way to spread nutsedge throughout your yard. :) I've heard that growing sweet potatoes for a full year will eradicate it. But I've never tried it. I'm hoping someone will and tell me if it really works.

• gnomey
    15 years ago

I feel your pain... on the outside of my fence I planted glad corms, liatris, crocismia (sp?) and daylilies. While everything was poking up out of the soil, I also noticed a nutsedge infestation. I went out of my mind trying to sort all that out and still haven't. Of course there's still nutsedge in there.. it is something that you can never seem to eliminate. However, in trying to pull it all out, I've also weeded out lots of things that I actually wanted to be there. I also had a helper one day and I think he pulled a lot of stuff that should have stayed. Who knows... I hope I don't end up with solely nutsedge there.

I was just out there looking at it earlier. We just had a lot of rain and some #*$()#* ran off the road and also demolished a lot of my stuff, leaving deep tire tracks. Anyone have any ideas of what kind of spikes I could put in the soil to discourage this type of jackassery?

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists