Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please ID the flower from this shrub in my yard

Posted by surrealgarden z7b NC Asheville (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 1:22

Hi- Although I am a longtime NC resident, I recently moved to Asheville and would appreciate an ID for a flowering plant in my yard. It is about 5 feet tall and grows back easily from being cut back (last year). This is a spec house purchased 18 months ago, so I daresay it must be a pretty common plant. I'm loaded with hostas, boxwoods, and daylillies.
I'm including a pic of a small bunch of delicate tubular flowers which don't occur often. When they do bloom, they are usually hidden deep behind several leaves, so the blooms are hard to see. They have a sweet smell which is somewhere between lilac and honeysuckle. I'm not sure how to encourage this plant or when to expect blooms. Anybody know what it may be? Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please ID the flower from this shrub in my yard

It seems my pic didn't go thru.

o

maybe Weigela

o

Agree with weigela...looks like the species, not a named variety.

o

You are absolutely right! I love this forum. Thank you to both gardeners for your help! I am totally unfamiliar with this plant.

I googled information and it seems that full sun encourages flowers for Weigela. My plant has had only 2-3 hidden clusters of flowers all season. I saw some shrubs which were totally covered in flowers on another website. I'd LOVE to see that happen in my yard. As it is, it is almost boring enough to take out and discard.

This plant is on the NW side of my home where it only receives morning sun due to shading, etc. It also receives the lions share of bitter wind during winter- if that matters. Do you think that moving it to FULL SUN is enough to encourage blooms?

I will fertilize. Do you have any other advice for nurturing it to its best? Thank you again in advance!

o

They are easy to root from cuttings and they get pretty big in a few years if you'd rather do that than dig it up. I have about 5 different types of it in my garden and there are some that are very showy. They do have a better shape and more flowers in full sun.

They are also kinda cheap to buy so you might look around at your local garden center before you move this one.

o

They're tough shrubs and fairly carefree, so move if you like and it should be fine. Full sun will give more blooms without a doubt. I have trouble keeping mine in bounds...much pruning after bloom each spring. I also sometimes get a rebloom in the late fall. But I have improved named varieties as well; don't know if you'll have the same success. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here