Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eddiebuck

Whats Your Secret?

eddiebuck
14 years ago

OK,all you Carolina fellow cabbage and collard growers.How in the world do you control that itsy bitsy diamondback moth caterpillar, you know,them thats on the underside of your cabbage and collard leaves,eating them to a frazzle. The absolute worst garden pests that I have ever seen.They have about whooped this old country boy this year so bad, he's thinking about not growing any collards or cabbage anymore.No point in planting them,if them rascals are gunna eatum all.lol THANKS, Eddiebuck

Comments (9)

• cannadoit
    14 years ago

Your caterpiller sounds just as bad as my stinkin' slugs!

How can those slow things eat almost a whole cabbage plant in a night? Little devils they are!

Here is to hoping you figure out your problem....I guess my slugs won't share my cabbage with your caterpillers. hehe

• eddiebuck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks,but my slugs were on my strawberries.I have an over supply of them to,slugs that is,not strawberries. lol eddiebuck

• trianglejohn
    14 years ago

I've heard (but so far haven't tried) that if you wrap your row in some sort of row cover like Remay or frost cloth you can put an end to this problem.

Evidently the fabric allows enough light through but keeps all the bugs out and it is light weight enough that the growing plant pushes it up as it grows.

• mbuckmaster
    14 years ago

I have a small enough veggie garden that I handpick them. Usually they're out more in the middle of the day, and I wear my special "stomping" shoes. It's my little idea that the squished bodies leave a message to others that think about messing with my veggies!....who knows. But if you have a large garden or not enough time to do this, I don't know what would work.

• cannadoit
    14 years ago

You need to get their little squished bodies and stick them on toothpicks around your veggie patch....they can then all think of you as "the garden impaler" lol

I have too much time on my hands!

I'm sorry to hear about your strawberries......I think i'm gonna try the eggshells thing on the slugs.

• eddiebuck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That row cover cloth sounds like will work,that is as long as I don't shut none up under there.Think I already have some light rowcover material I used for frost. Thanks folks,eb

• tamelask
    14 years ago

I second the frost cover. Works great for anything that doesn't need pollination. it does work best if you cover early, but is worth a shot even now.

You can also spray with Bt- it kills most all caterpillars by making them stop eating. Very safe to use. It does have a shelf life, so get as fresh as you can. You can buy it as a liquid or powder to dust with. Make sure you hit the undersides of the leaves.

• nancyofnc
    14 years ago

Slugs on strawberries? Use Escargo or Sluggo (brand names) readily available at garden nurseries and Home Depot and Lowe's. It is non-toxic and doesn't stain concrete (or my rocks). It converts to a "fertilizer" as it breaks down, forgotten what the magic ingredient is but I do know it worked on my strawberries, hosta, and other veggies that those slimy critters love to munch.

As for row cover, it works fine for bugs but the weeds still grow under it all the same and is difficult to weed under once it is in place. If you secure it with special staples it won't fly off in a windstorm but you can't pull it up easily either.

As for the original problem of this post - critters on cabbage and collards - Bt only works so long and they become immune to it or it wasn't reapplied at the right time or you watered from the top too much or it rained on them and washed the Bt away. I gave up growing any cole crop because a thousand million or so cabbage moths live out in my garden. My DH suggested Sevin dust but I declined - who wants to eat poison?

Nancy

• User
    14 years ago

Eddiebuck,
    I know your going to think this is crazy, but it works.
    Pour a can of beer into a bowl that doesn't have high sides, about and inch or two.
    Put it out by the plants your having a hard time with at night, and in the morning, they will all be in the beer bowl, dead.
    Works.
    Bugs, especially slugs and catipillars absolutely LOVE beer, they can smell it from far away.
    Don't knock it til you try it.
    Good Luck!

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz