Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID of plant please

Posted by murphy_zone7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 9, 09 at 6:41

Hello....There is a shrub in bloom now in the Anderson SC area that I have tried to identify for about a year now. Its leaves are dark green shiny and the flowers are orangey/red. After a while the flower changes to a fruit like fleshy bulb, also orangey/red. The fruit is small about the size of the end of your thumb and has seeds in it.
Someone told me it is a "pomegranate tree" and the fruit does look very much like a very mini pomegranate. But I wonder if that is the real name.
I would post a picture but unfortunately my computer skills are not that great.
Thank you in advance for any help.
Murphy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID of plant please

Murphy - there are a bunch of different types of pomegranates, some are small, some are very dark (almost black), some are kinda tan colored. To make things more confusing, what one type is called in Europe, its called something else over here even though they are more than likely the same plant. At this time of year the fruit will be pretty small, they take all summer to swell and ripen.

o

It's a pomegranate shrub. I have one, Beautiful.

o

Thank you so much. Does the pomegranate become edible? I think the plant is beautiful too, hemlady. In fact, I have two little ones about a foot high that I rooted off cuttings from a big plant found in the yard of my great grandfather. As I said, I have been trying for over a year to identify.
Trianglejohn, thank you for clarifying. It is confusing but the plant I have has reddish orange flowers and the fruits are also reddish orange. Gonna go with pomegranate shrub. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I read your posts and you are incredibly helpful and knowledgeable.
Murphy

o

Some are mostly grown as blooming plants and have fruit that doesn't have much flavor. Some are so hard there is no way to break into the fruit anyway. Even the good tasting ones are better tasting in one persons garden than anothers. I have a small shrub form called 'State Fair' which has a ton of fruit but they are pretty small and brownish - not what you'd think of as tasty but they taste ok. Its flowers are the bright orange/red but they don't open up all the way like most of them.

o

Murphy, I got my shrub from my mother's yard nearly 20 years ago. She got hers from my grandmother 20 years before that. This is a great pass-along shrub that I seldom ever see anywhere else. Denise

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here