Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirrelspur

Mexican bush sage salvia leucantha hardy?

squirrelspur
14 years ago

Has anyone in zone 7 had Mexican bush sage salvia leucantha survive the winter? Esp. the Santa Barbara cultivar?

I haven't had any luck but wondered if others have. I'm in zone 7A which might make a difference vs. 7B.

If it has survived for you, any special treatment?

Thanks, squirrelspur

Comments (10)

• mrsboomernc
    14 years ago

It is not hardy in my 7a garden, sadly.
    I love this plant!

• spazzycat_1
    14 years ago

S. 'Santa Barbara' has been hardy for me for many years (just west of Chapel Hill/Carrboro). I was surprised, but it even came back this Spring after the severe winter we had. Mine is planted in full sun in well-drained soil by a stone patio where it gets reflective solar heat. I do not cut down the stems until Spring and new growth usually doesn't emerge until mid-May.

• aezarien
    14 years ago

No luck here either. The cuttings were fairly easy to root though!

-Tina

• zigzag
    14 years ago

Sorry, no luck here either. Not sure what variety I had as it was a 'passalong', but it was soooo nice while it lasted. :o(

• pfmastin
    14 years ago

It's hardy for me in 7b...Greenville.

• gusolie
    14 years ago

West of Charlotte it is hardy; it's cold hardy to about 0, but resents wet winter soils and do NOT trim away the frost-killed stems until early spring. This dried material provides crown protection for the roots, especially needed int he freeze/thaw and chillier areas of zone 7a.

And yes, 'Santa Barbara' seems to be superbly hardy, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia leucantha

• squirrelspur
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all. Last year it got to 4F at my house and it killed my species plant. If Santa Barbara is hardier than the species, maybe I will give it a try in a good site...and take cuttings.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    14 years ago

my Mexican bush sage didn't come back after the first year despite not trimming it. Just as well in my opinion because while the plant bloomed like crazy I couldn't stand the smell/stink/odor. Not nice enough to qualify as 'fragrant'.

• gusolie
    14 years ago

Another tidbit I failed to mention about Mexican sage in the northern reaches of its winter hardiness is to plant in early in teh growing season so that it can have as much time to establish itself beyond that container rootball before its first winter. This is particularly true with heavy clay soil since container peat media and mixtures thereof do not readily "mesh" with the compact, fine particles of clay in the planting hole as nicely as a loam or amended sand.

• stacette
    14 years ago

Out of 3-4 planted last year only one has come back and I agree with gusolie that it is because it became well established before it got cold. We should talk to greenhouses about selling them early vs late so that they can establish themselves you don't see these for sale UNTIL they are blooming. If I am not mistaken I bought the one that made early ....