Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vine or vining/climbing rose question

Posted by yeto SC (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 30, 09 at 7:51

Hi,

I have an old 10' satellite dish that I would like to use as a trellis. I would like to plant a vine or maybe some climbing roses to cover it. If a vine is the best option it would not be necessary that it flowers. The dish is in a part of the yard that gets a lot of sun and the soil is a little on the sandy side. It would be nice if the vine or climbing roses would have foliage year round. Also, if possible, low maintenance would be nice(something that would not end up with a large stem like a trumpet vine I have in another part of the yard).

Could someone recommend something?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Yeto

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vine or vining/climbing rose question

I guess first thing to think about is covering the dish with something like chicken wire so your future vines will have something to cling to. Is the dish installation slanted?

o

The dish is mesh so I should be fine there.

"Is the dish installation slanted?" (not sure I understand the question but if you mean what direction is the dish pointed--it is pointed towards my house--not towards the sky)

Thanks for your reply,
Yeto

o

If you want to hide the dish, a Lady Banks Rose is a big ol' barn eater! She really wants to cover up my shed. I have to cut her back twice a year.

o

Is the dish itself 10' wide or in its slanted position, 10' tall from the ground?
How high is the post?
Can you change the dish position to parallel to the ground? Just thinking that in that position, you could plant underneath the dish and ,first cutting holes in the mesh, thread your vining plants or a couple of lady banks rose up through the holes to use the diameter of the dish as support for the canes.
I've seen LBR grown on/over tall trellises like wisteria. You have to keep after clipping the lower branches(it has a tendency to sucker). But still, it's not entirely evergreen and a 10'wide planting you might not want or have the room for and the bloom period is short in early spring.

o

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The dish is 10' in diameter. It is perpendicular to the ground. The pole that the dish is mounted on places the bottom of the dish 2' above the ground therefore placing the top of the dish 12' above the ground. I cannot change the position of the dish.

I am basically looking for some type of vine that will be easy to maintain and that will hide the dish year round. I envision the vine climbing up the pole over the back of the dish and then down the front.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Yeto

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here