Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Critter is Doing This?

Posted by hdcochran 8a (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 27, 09 at 8:06

I live on the Neuse R. estuary in coastal NC. Some critter is making off with the immature oranges on my small potted tree. Once there were 13 of 1" size or larger. One by one they disappeared overnight until now there are only 7. Suspects include deer, raccoons, squirrels, possums. Any ideas what kind of critter likes immature oranges? Any suggested preventative measures?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Critter is Doing This?

My vote is for squirrels. Between them and my my deer, it's amazing I even have a garden. Preventative measures (non-violent, I assume)?...offer them dried corn on the cob and they'll eat their fill there. Then they may leave your oranges alone. Of course, you can always cart the tree inside every night...what a pain! =)

o

Deer would eat the leaves, a raccoon would knock over the pot, opossums aren't interested, so, probably squirrels.

o

squirrels are very destructive to immature and mature fruit, in my experience. Another vote for them. As for what you can do- try spraying/sprinkling the bush with hot pepper. You can also cover it with netting- but keep the netting off the bush or they'll gnaw through the net to get to the fruit (i found out the hard way last year). I have read that leaving some exlax out for them in bits in the pot will deter them- they eat the exlax, get sick and associate the pot with getting sick. They have eaten the exlax for me, but it didn't really deter them from coming after the fruit later, so i'd take that one with a grain of salt. Best of luck!

o

I must have jinxed myself by replying to this post, because yesterday morning I saw a squirrel on my potted lime tree, ripping off an immature fruit. Squirrels are playing havoc with my garden this year...they're almost up there with the deer, they're so bad!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here