just dies off.

Blueangel

Comments (12)

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

Overwatering?

• julia
    15 years ago

Too much sun? Try moving the container out of the midday sun.

• jqpublic
    15 years ago

plant it in the ground...and you'll have it forever! Ours has spread over a 10 foot area in our yard. It seems our herbs need extra watering in the summer. Perhaps a shadier area like others have suggested.

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

I have mine in a container on my south-facing porch. It receives no direct sunlight and is jumping out of the pot. I have it in one of those self-watering pots so I can neglect it for two weeks at a time. It loves it.

• aezarien
    15 years ago

Mint is one of those easy to grow plants which when given too much care is easy to kill as well. It really isn't too picky about location and will grow in part sun to full sun. They are also not too picky about soil. I've seen it grow in anything from mulch to clay packed solid as a rock. The best looking plants I have seen are in full sun locations with at least decent drainage. The other elements won't necessarily kill the plants however. The ones I have had potted up absolutely resent small shallow containers and need the soil to be moist but not wet. I have killed them both by over-watering and putting them in too small of a pot. They need plenty of room to spread. With a decent sized container they only need water at the very most every three or four days. I just stick my finger in the pot and if the top two inches of soil is dry then I water it.

Anyway, that is just my personal experience with it over the years. Hope it is at least somewhat helpful. :)

-Tina

• blueangel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for your tips
    and suggestions,the pot is
    a large one.It recieves afternoon
    sun and is only watered when needed.
    Maybe I will try jqpublic suggestion
    and plant it in one of the gardens.
    LOL ,anyone who has read my post knows
    I only have two temporary gardens set up.
    Of the other eight beds the smallest being
    16x25 are all empty.I still have not decided
    what to plant .
    Thanks all
    Blueangel

• aezarien
    15 years ago

If you wanted to make a permanent bed with different types of mint that would be nice. I wouldn't suggest putting it anywhere to flourish where you might not want it later though. Planting it in the ground in containers helps contain the spread but you will still have to keep an eye on it because they will still run some.

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

None of my mints do well in the summer heat. They are winter growers and look their best in fall and spring.

• blueangel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

John
    Should I leave them
    in hope that they will
    return later,last year
    when they died off I just
    tossed them.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

I would- i thought for sure i'd lost the banana mint last fall/winter in a container and this year it looks great! One note- last fall some kind of caterpillar decimated my peppermint. very odd.

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

I wouldn't toss them. I would just set them aside until things cool down and then start feeding and watering them again.

None of my mints love being in pots. Only when they are very young plants do they tolerate it well. Once they mature and fill the pot (seemingly overnight) they sulk without daily waterings and regular feedings. Instead I grow most of mine in large plastic trays, it gives them room to roam without invading the garden.

• blueangel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks John
    what type of trays are
    you talking about
    and were to buy.
    Blueangel

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus