Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsig

Mosquito Control

mrsig
14 years ago

I am pretty diligent about emptying standing water around my yard, but already this season the mosquitos seem to be getting out of control, presumably because of the somewhat wet spring we've had.

Sprays work pretty well, but I don't particularly like putting those on my 3yo, and my 3mo is too young for most anyway. And, sprays don't really control the mosquito infestation anyway.

So I want to get serious about the problem. Has anyone had any luck wtih the traps that use Propane tanks? I'm wondering if one particular model is better than another. I was planning on picking one up at Lowe's but wanted to ask around first.

Comments (12)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    14 years ago

Yes I have had good results although it's not instantaneous. The objective of these Mosquito Magnets is to break the breeding cycle and correct placement in your yard is terribly important. Sometimes it requires you run an extension cord over your lawn so you can place the unit according to where you have brush/shrubbery material and be within the prevailing wind.
    You don't want to place it close to the house because that serves to attract the mosquitoes to you.
    Google a lot and read up on the products. The units that use propane , which is what I had, a tank will last from 17-21 days. The units will also trap no-see-ums although I don't think they attract biting flies. It has to run continuously although the power usage is not that noticeable on your power bill.

• mrsig
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, I wasn't aware that they required electricity (shows what I know about them I guess)...just that they required propane gas. I see on the "Mosquito Magnet" website, that they now have a model that is cordless (runs on 4C batteries that reportedly lasts one year).

Dottie - Did you have to run yours year-round?

• jimtnc
    14 years ago

Try this product, but be sure it states permethrin as the main ingredient on the bottom. For some reason they have marketed the same label with 2 different main ingredients, the other being lambda-cyhalothrin, which is not as effective or backyard friendly with dogs and kids as permethrin, I've read.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• dottie_in_charlotte
    14 years ago

No. I just ran it from May through late Sept. early Oct.
    The power (electricity) is operating the vacuum that sucks the bugs into the net. I'd rather have one that plugs in than one that might not be a strong as the batteries wear out.
    I can't stress enough the importance location of the unit is for maximum effectiveness.

• mrsig
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dottie - Was yours a "mosquito magnet" brand? (see link)

Amazon shows some really poor user ratings for that particular brand, which apparently is the most popular/common.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosquito Magnet on Amazon

• dottie_in_charlotte
    14 years ago

Yes, the Liberty although it appears the price has gone up some. Mine is about 7 years old now. Still plugging along.

• DYH
    14 years ago

Although it may be too late this year, you can think about plantings and such that may help.

We have a waterfall/stream as a water feature. Moving water isn't a good place for mosquitoes to breed, but in full sun, it attracts dragonflies and birds that eat mosquitoes. Frogs also eat mosquitoes and the mosquito larvae. Even a small feature with running water may attract the beneficials.

We grow a lot of herbs around the garden, too. Ageratum, nepeta, lavender, basil, rosemary, oregano and thyme. I really believe these plants help reduce the insect population (houseflies, gnats and mosquitoes). I've just started growing marigolds, too.

We've noticed the hummingbirds skim across the damp grass to eat gnats, too. They also eat mosquitoes. Hummingbird feeders and flowers are fun.

Cameron

• woodsworm
    14 years ago

I use a natural product, no electricity, traps them. I keep one under the deck. Between it and the cintronella plant, we haven't had a prob in 3 years, knock on wood.
    The product is Oak Stump Mosquito Bait. You buy a jar fitted for the trap, and the bait is pellets to lure the famale blood-suckers in and tgrap them. It is made by SpringStar. My package gives phone 800-769-1043.

I bought two traps, and they take care of a big back yard.

• ugoatgirl
    14 years ago

I haven't tried this, but here is a link to the Oak Stump Mosquito Trap, referenced in the above post. The price is reasonable.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Pest Depot

• mikesc
    14 years ago

I am wondering if any of you live in a community where Malathion is sprayed. I do, and I hate it. THe city and the county both insist that it is effective, but there are several times when I've been out running and that truck comes by spraying and I have nowhere to hide. Though I have stopped and covered my face, my mouth and throat completely dry out, and I know this stuff is harmful. They don't spray late enough for people to be out of the way, claiming that the mosquitoes are most active at dusk. Children, families, runners and tourists are active at dusk, also.

I have sought to find research on this which would validate stopping the spraying program. I am willing to go before City Council if I can find anything; however, most of what I have discovered online tends to insist that malathion isn't a threat to people. Do any of you have sources of information out there which may (a) indicate that malathion is not safe for humans and (b) indicate that the spraying program is not effective any way.

Thanks for indulging me with this long message, but when I saw a "mosquitoe discussion," I had to weigh in.

Mike in Myrtle Beach, SC

• dottie_in_charlotte
    14 years ago

The problem mosquitoes we have here are the tiger mosquitoes which don't need any more than the moisture between a few leaves to keep their eggs viable. Wet compost piles are fine with them. You don't need standing water for them to lay their eggs and for the eggs to develop.
    Tigers land and bite right away.

• lylesgardens
    14 years ago

yep , awful tiger mosquitos here in Concord too. SO bad that you take two steps into the grass out back and your legs are loaded with them. We've had so much rain here in the last 30-60 days, you cant stay out even in the heat of the day, in the shade, for the loads of mosquitos everywhere. I think we an only grin and bear it. At least the flower gardens look great. *S*