Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

Growing Lavender in NC

DYH
15 years ago

My husband and I had an invitation to Sunshine Lavender Farm this past weekend. I've been growing (ornamental) Spanish Lavender for several years and find it grows very well if planted high and dry with good drainage. Anyway, I asked the owner if it was okay to write about our visit on my blog. She said yes as long as folks know that they can't just show up at the farm. I posted photos and some information about their lavender farm. The owner is also a Master Gardener.

Enjoy,

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: lavender farm visit

Comments (10)

• alex_7b
    15 years ago

Do they also have Rosemary?

• DYH
    Original Author
    15 years ago

only in their private kitchen garden. They don't grow rosemary for products, just lavender.

• ncgardner
    15 years ago

I too was invited to Sunshine Lavender Farm. What a great day. I'm very interested in starting lavender and purchased several plants. I love the Spanish lavender like you have and the fact that it blooms earlier in the season is a plus. I was also delighted to see the fairly new Hidcote Giant selection available to buy. I guess Hidcote is my favorite after Spanish so what could be better than a "Giant" Hidcote?? Thanks for sharing.

Kaaren

What a nice visit.

• amyflora
    15 years ago

I have been wanting to visit there. Saw the feature in Carolina Gardener magazine, and Adele and I were saying we should go sometime. It looks like a success, and like a beautiful small farm. Thanks for the information!

• DYH
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If you love lavender, subscribe to Annie's newsletter.

Karen -- wish I'd known you were there, too. We got there around 10:15 and must have left before 1:00. We took the tour with Annie, so that must have been around 11:00 or so. We had lunch there. Doesn't she have a wonderful farm? I love her house and gardens.

• ncgardner
    15 years ago

We had to be there at the same time. I took the 9:30 tour and enjoyed every step of it. Ate lunch after deciding which plants to try. Sorry I missed you.

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

I went last year. The best was the chocolate/lavender ice cream!

I have struggled with growing lavender at home (in pots or in the ground). My best success is from cuttings I take myself in the fall and basically neglect all winter. Last years babies are blooming now.

• DYH
    Original Author
    15 years ago

John...my lavender thrives on neglect! Ignoring them seems to work the best.

I just give my lavender a good shaping/trim with my hedgetrimmers after it blooms and either in fall or early February. I didn't trim it this past year because I was worried about the drought impact. I still got thousands of blooms per plant. My Spanish are getting large and I'm now getting concerned that they will probably split/splay open next year as I can't trim enough off. May be time to replace in 2009.

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    15 years ago

I have not yet visited there, but plan to this weekend. Here is the link to their page. Check out how to plant Lavender by clicking Planting at the top menu bar. Also enjoyed the Shop page to see what they do with it. I grow L. Augustifolia with great success here outside Winston-Salem, NC and have been making L bottles for years if anyone wants instructions. Karen, your page doesnt allow us to email you directly to discuss the thread, so get in touch if you'd like to discuss Lavender etc. I'd enjoy finding out what part of NC you are growing Lavender in, for comparison.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:576894}}

• DYH
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Is there another open house this weekend or did you contact Annie for a visit? Sunshine Lavender Farm isn't generally open to the public for visiting since it is the owner's home.