Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lylesgardens

Regarding earlier WOW! Lily post

lylesgardens
15 years ago

I had wondered if this triple bloom occurrence in daylilies was a rare event, or common among particular varieties. Anyone know?

Lyle

Comments (12)

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Particular varieties pretty much ARE triple. Was yours a once off on an otherwise single blooming plant? There's an old variety that looks just like the one you posted that gets passed around.

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

Someone gave me a plant years ago that blooms double and triple on the same plant. I'm waiting for someone to breed triples in the other colors beside the oranges.

• lsst
    15 years ago

I have a yellow that blooms triples.

• lylesgardens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Since this is a new house for me, this is the first summer for all the plants that were formally there, so I dont know if any of the other lilies from the other plants are the same. Most are ready to explode with flowers so we'll see very soon! I really do hope the rest are triples. The particualr one I had did have some red streaks in it. It was quite interesting, like I mentioned I have never seen a triple bloom before, but lots of double ones.

Lyle

• transplanted2scin07
    15 years ago

I hope you tagged it so you can separate it from the rest. Any divisions of that plant should have triple blossoms, too. Maybe you've made an exciting new discovery! I can't say I've ever seen a triple daylily before now.

• lsst
    15 years ago

I bought my yellow and my orange triple last summer at the Lowes in Greenville, SC. I have not seen any there this year yet.
    Here is the yellow. My orange has finished blooming.
    {{gwi:576910}}

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Like i said, the old passalong triple looks just like yours- med orange with slight red streaks and the petals mostly right on top of one another instead of rotated like lsst's yellow one. It's a great plant, but nothing new to try & market.

• rootdiggernc
    15 years ago

The old passalong triple blooming daylily is called Hemerocallis Kwanso/Kwanzo and is related to the common roadside daylily or ditch lily. Someone told me long ago to keep those away from your other daylilies. Something about a disease they carry (doesn't effect the common ones) which is harmful to the daylily hybrids. Check on the Daylily forum they would know more about it. I grow mine in an area away from my other beds and have never had any problems.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Never heard that before root, so thank you! I may move mine to the back where the regular ditch lilies are. Appreciate having a name to give them, too. Most of the ones i have aren't hybrids- they are the old varieties - do you think they'd be harmful to them? I didn't plant them with those, but they are about 10' away. I've had the old fashioned ones for about 12 years, and the triples for just a couple years.

• rootdiggernc
    15 years ago

Tammy, I really don't know for sure. I only have a few hybrids and have only had them for a few years. I haven't had any trouble with mine, but as soon as someone told me about the disease issue I moved my Kwanzo's to the bottom of my hill away from the hybrids. The old common daylilies were a childhood favorite of mine and I have a huge patch of them prolly 10 or 12 feet long and a couple feet wide. I stuck the triples with them.

I bet Dana would probably know since she raises and breeds them.

• aisgecko
    15 years ago

Root, I wonder the person was mistaking the mosaic virus in real lilies. The passalong orange tiger lilies often carry this virus undetected and if planted too close can infect your other lilies. This wouldn't affect your daylilies, which aren't really lilies at all. I could be wrong, but it sounds suspiciously similar and I've never heard of this with daylilies. -Ais.

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

I haven't either -- I thought the main reason to keep Kwanso away from other daylilies is that the orange daylilies are so aggressive.