Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone have a Live Oak growing in Upstate SC ?

Posted by lsst (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 08 at 10:12

I have always loved the look of The Live Oak Quercus Virginiana.

I am in upstate SC and apparently it was used as a commercial landscaping tree in the late 50's and early 60's as there are several commercial developments built at that time that have rows of the Live Oak lining the parking lots.

I just bought one from a local nursery and was wondering if anyone has one planted in Zone 7 and what has been their experience.

The nursery I bought it from had a Live Oak growing beside the nursery for about 25 years. It was struck by lightning and had to be removed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone have a Live Oak growing in Upstate SC ?

A landscaper planted one for me, guaranteed for two years. It did not make it, so they replaced it with a slightly smaller one. That one lived about five years. Then we had a major ice storm. It could not take having that much ice on it for a week, so it died. I am in zone 7 near Greensboro, but that is almost the same as Greenville, SC, where I am from. So, given the warming trend, it has a good chance. Here's wishing you luck!

o

Thanks for the reply.
The man who owns the nursery is considered an expert and when I described where I was going to plant it he said it should do fine.

I was going to center it in the middle of the front yard and when my husband and I marked it out, we realized it would be over the water line which will not work.

I bought the last one the nursery has until fall so I plan on buying a second one then and planting one on each side of the yard instead of the center.

o

I have one, at least I THINK it is one - I have to do a check of leaves soon and see what it really is. I got it at a plant swap about 6 years ago, labeled as Live Oak, but... It went to a larger pot and then into the ground about 19 mo. after that. It's doing well, slightly protected by a large pine tree and a few fence-row shrubbery plants. So far, it isn't too evergreen, it loses most of it's leaves by the dead of winter, which is why I wonder....

1sst, just be aware of the eventual widths of the 2 trees, and allow for that, else the next owner may have to fight his way into the house. Of course, limbing up is always possible....

o

Thanks dibbit,
My understanding is that it is semi- evergreen here.
We have some acreage so I have room for them. ( at least in my lifetime) LOL

o

Why don't you try a Laurel Oak? It looks like the Live oak and it is Semi Evergreen to Evergreen. The habit is much like the willow and live oaks. Not as long-lived as the live oak though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quercus hemisphaerica

o
RE: sdfa Does anyone have a Live Oak growing in Upstate SC ?

PS Dibbit...I think you may have a Laurel Oak.

o

I have already bought the Live Oak.
The nursery owner mentioned the Darlington which is a Laurel Oak but said it is hard to find in nurseries around our area.
It looks like the Laurel is more cold tolerant.

o

Yeah I would really recommend the Laurel/Darlington Oak. You will lose the Live Oak after a few years especially if the mountains get a good cold snap.

o

I have a Live Oak growing here in my yard just south of Charlotte, NC. It's not real big, only a few years old but is a little over 6 feet tall. I also know of another that is growing near here. It was planted by the Tega Cay City Arborist is memory of a former mayor that had passed away.

Carole

o

I am 80 miles south of Charlotte.
I found a source for a Laurel Oak in GA where I could drive down and pick one up.
I have planted the Live Oak and was going to match it with another Live Oak but I think I will plant a Laurel Oak instead. That way if the Live Oak does not make it, I can replace it with a Laurel Oak. If it does make it, I will have two similar looking trees.

o

Does anyone know of a plant or tree nursery in SC or Charlotte or N. GA that sells larger Laurel Oaks? I am looking for a 15 -30 gallon size or at least 10 feet tall.

o

Sorry I can't help! But good luck!

o

Thanks,
I have a local nursery that sells palms looking into ordering one for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here