Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosebush_gw

Is it too late?

rosebush
15 years ago

To plant butterbeans? Everything else is in the ground, but I have realized at the last minute that I would like these in my garden and might have enough room after all. I'm in the foothills.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

I am also late with some of my summer crop so I plan on starting some things later than normal.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

I think up til July 4th is what i've heard before for summer crops. I know i've planted tomatoes and peperes around that time or even later and had decent crops. I also know i've done green beans at least that late, so i'd guess butters would be ok. Remember, our first frost is often as late as late oct-nov, so we still have lots of warm weather for things to grow &bear.

• rosebush
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you! I started so early with other veggies that I feel like I'm somehow behind schedule. Sounds like it's just the right time to add to my garden. (GREAT, that's JUST what I need! LOL) I'm still picking sugar snap peas, but the heat will finish them quickly now. The cut short beans are growing right next to the peas so they can take over the wire trellis. Tomatoes, zucchini and herbs are all doing well. So far so good! :)

• nannerbelle
    15 years ago

Well, I'm late this year too. I got very sidetracked with that tornado that took out my garden shed and put my tiller in the shop. But none the less, I'm in the process of planting now. Really blew my plans to plant by the Old Farmers Almanic this year, but got my fingers crossed. I got my herbs started, all in containers this year. So I'm right there with the late veggie starters this year! :-)

• rosebush
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nannerbelle,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your tornado damage. That's really scary! But it sounds like you're okay, and that's the important thing, right? :)
    I'm still starting more herbs in containers too, and thinking about planting more cukes. . .as well as the butter beans (LOVE them!) - it never ends! LOL
    I hope your garden does well!
    Rosemary

• nannerbelle
    15 years ago

Thanks Rosemary! Yes, we are all OK, no damage to the house, and both DH and I and the pups are all fine. That is the important part!! Homeowners insurance takes care of the rest! :-) I'll most likely do some more herbs once I get the veggies in as well. I tend to be growing herbs as much as I can all year in recent years. Hope your garden does well too!! Nothing like those fresh summer veggies that came from your garden!! :-)

• jqpublic
    15 years ago

Keep safe out there. I'm gonna hibernate for 2 weeks til the 99's and 100's get out of the area. I hope we get a rain in btw though!

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus