Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Park Seed, June 22

Posted by chrisb_sc_z7 7 near Clemson, SC (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 10:49

Does anybody here ever go to Park Seed on June 22 for their open house and sale? Trial garden tours, discounted plant sales, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Park Seed, June 22

I went many years ago and had a wonderful time...lots of speakers then, plus lovely displays and bargains on plants, especially some of the ones they used in trials that were good, but not the one chosen to grow out for sales.

If I lived as close as you do, I would certainly attend. It was free when I went...took my non-gardening sisters, who enjoyed the displays.

o

I have gone for many years. Park seed is not the vibrant business leading the pack that it used to be. Somehow it has become tangled with Jackson & Perkins and Wayside Gardens. So, you will find their selections for sale at the nursery also. Who owns whom is confusing to me at the moment.

But...it is still a very reliable nursery. Go to the June 22nd sale and stop by other times when nearby during the growing season. You will find it interesting and often some unannounced sales.. Good bargains. Very much worth the trip. If you have a hard copy of the Park Seed and/or the Wayside nursery catalogs take them with you. You will find yourself consulting them often.

o

I've been going off and on for several years as well. Just wondered if others here went. I usually don't fight with the crowds to buy anything. I go to visit with friends and tour the trial grounds. And then go see the display gardens at people's houses. We didn't go at all last year because it was supposed to be near 100F that weekend. This year is looking much better so far.

o

It was a lot of fun with the guest speakers! I got to meet Paul James of Gardening by the yard! It is not the same now, but I will be there Saturday with a couple of friends. I learned not to buy so much, because there is more to plant - still have Oriental lilies and other bulbs in pots from three years ago. But I will probably buy more if they are cheap, last year $1 then marked down to 50 cents. LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here