Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puddle_of_mud

June Wedding Flowers

puddle_of_mud
14 years ago

Here's the thing, my daughter will be getting married June of 2010. It's a big wedding, not in my garden, THANK GOODNESS, it'll be in a church, and reception at the hotel. LOL but I will have lots and lots of company coming in and out of our home, and I want my garden to say, "someone is getting married". So, if you were me, just what would you do in this next year to have your garden looking wedding beautiful?

Example: I've been growing grapes on the back fence for years so that I can gather vines to make swags over my door during holidays. I won't be cutting them this year, in case I use them to drape the church doors with the vines, flowers, ribbons ...

What, and which flowers would YOU plant and have for your wedding garden?

Thanks for any help!

Comments (14)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    14 years ago

Baby's Breath would be easy and fill in a lot of empty area between bigger flowering plants. Probably need staking. Does she have a clue yet what colors will be in her wedding party apparel and what flowers she'd like in her bouquet? You could probably take those decisions and plant in those colors/flowers and make it look like her flowers came right from your garden.

• trianglejohn
    14 years ago

There are almost white daylilies and cannas, both would be blooming in June (maybe early June thru mid June on the daylilies and mid thru late June for the cannas).

A large healthy rose bush purchased this year and babied would be in peak form by next June.

Calla lilies are just now starting to bloom in my yard - all the colors have proven cold hardy for me. The large white ones are generally considered winter hardy.

My gardenias are just starting to flush, but gardenias are tricky to control. If you already have some growing you could take extra good care of them this summer which might induce lots of buds for next summer.

Ever blooming annuals like petunias, impatiens, fan flower, torenia are pretty foolproof - there is no need to grow them now, buy some next May and water and feed them til the wedding.

Buy lots of ribbon - if all else fails in the flowerbeds, bows and streaming ribbons says "wedding" just as clearly as any flower can.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I want my yard constantly to look like a wedding party is arriving but June is a hard month becuase spring flowers are shot or getting ready for a second flush yet to arrive and summer flowers are just starting to bloom.
    So, lots of hydrangeas. They will be in full bloom in June.
    and would look wonderful with white impatiens around the bases. I would buy at least one tiered garden stand and plant it abundantly with annuals next spring. They have them all the time at Tuesday Morning if you watch carefully.

Other ramblings : Frosty Morn sedums are really pretty and not heavy looking like Autumn Joys.
    My butterfly bushes are just starting to bloom so in a few weeks should be nice.
    Licorice Plant among other things - would be great in a tiered planter. And lots of variegated ivy!

• puddle_of_mud
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wonderful ideas! Keep 'em coming! I knew I could count on ya'll! :) I'm printing out your posts and putting them into my notebook. THANKS for the help!

• emilyobx
    14 years ago

I was going to suggest white callas myself. I have all sorts of pink ones and they come back year after year.

• johnnylingoman1_gmail_com
    14 years ago

I got a GREAT reference here. If you want to know every flower known to man there is a really accurate alphabetical list of flowers.

The moment I went to this site, i went berserk. It clarified any color or type of flowers that I need to know.

For you June Flowers question, there might be a page that describes different seasons and meanings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Summer Wedding Flowers and Flower Dictionary

• lsst
    14 years ago

Knock out roses
    Hydrangeas
    Gardenias
    Petunias

• jqpublic
    14 years ago

I agree with the recommendation for hydrangeas as well.

• token28001
    14 years ago

Stargazers and other oriental lilies. Mine are just starting to crack. Asiatics are quicker to bloom starting last week, but they have no real fragrance.

• token28001
    14 years ago

{{gwi:577128}}

Not sure the variety, but you can find them in the fall at the big box stores. Plant them in full sun to make for earlier blooms. Mine are in morning shade with full sun from about 1pm on.

There's white lantana, nicotiana, shasta daisies, and if you have lots of room, datura that will be blooming from here on out. Just be careful with white. Not all whites are made equally.

petunias - store bought.
    {{gwi:577130}}

Nicotiana and asiatic lilies.
    {{gwi:577132}}

Direct sown datura - in March, first bloom just cracked today. The fragrance is intoxicating. Mostly a night bloomer, but can hold up in part shade for much of the day.
    {{gwi:500225}}

There's also queen anne's lace, scabiosa, gerber daisies, and other annuals you can choose.

• lee_71
    14 years ago

I also vote for Stargazer lilies. We used them in our wedding, so we planted some in the yard.
    They start blooming around the middle of June and go through the middle of July. They are very fragrant and could make
    great centerpieces of table arrangements.

Lee

• puddle_of_mud
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Beautiful photos, Token! Thanks for sharing them with me...and thanks to everyone! With all these great suggestions, and ideas posted, I have lots of planning to do. I'm getting so excited! After the great rain we had last night, I'm itching to get out in the garden today! Need to do some day dreaming, and wedding garden planning! :) Thanks again!

• brpinson
    14 years ago

Diamond frost euphorbia is a great annual...loose and airy as a complement at the base of the lilies, great in mixed planters with green and white caladiums and white impatiens, complements almost anything.

• puddle_of_mud
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi brpinson, I just googled "Diamond frost euphorbia", and it is BEAUTIFUL! I like it better than Baby's Breath for it's height. Thanks! I'll be sure to look for it at the garden center...hope they have lots of it next spring! :)

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm