Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you tell me what this weed is

Posted by mad_about_mickey **7* *N.C. (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 08 at 11:43

I have this weed for the first time and it is drving me nuts. Any help would be appreciated.Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you tell me what this weed is

this looks like some type of nettle.

Lyle

o

I think it's bedstraw, Galium aparine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Galium aparine

o

I think Karen is correct.

And it is a pain, almost as good as some of the other weeds I have!!! To the best of my knowledge, digging a bit around the roots makes it easier to pull out by the roots. It breaks very easily at the root crown, only to re-sprout and "mock" you, just when you thought it was gone.

o

funny that this galium is such a weed when i can't keep g. odoratum alive for anything. sigh.

o

Is this the one with sticky leaves?

o

No, Dottie, the leaves aren't sticky. I looked up the galium and I'm not sure that that is what it is. It does have the teeny flowers. But mine is relatively low to the ground. Doesn't have a big root system. Fast grower. Thanks everyone for the help.

o

I call it carpet weed. It grows really fast and I have better luck just letting it get some size and then find that center tap root which comes up easily in my sandy topsoil.

Here is a link that might be useful: carpet weed

o

Dottie, I believe the one with sticky leaves - sticks to your pants' legs and to itself, as well as to dog and cat fur - is cleavers. Also a nuisance!

And on further thought - such as it is - I believe Shari is right.

o

Both of them are a real pain.

o

is it Poor Joe (button weed)? That's what I had in my garden and got it identified on the forums. It grows all over my garden, but is easy to pull out.

Cameron

o

I have that too Cameron. Nice to have an i.d.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here