Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lantana camara-- annual /perennial and invasiveness

Posted by carolinaflowerlover 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 11:47

After my mistake with ditch lilies, I want to be more careful! Is Lantana camara (butterfly weed) perennial or annual in Piedmont Triad of Greensboro? How invasive is it here? I see them planted at office buildings, so I assume not too invasive...I hope!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lantana camara-- annual /perennial and invasiveness

I don't consider them invasive here in Raleigh but I think they can be in zone 8 or further south (zone 8 would include our southern coastline).

Most of the hardy forms are Lantana camara, but not all Lantana camara are hardy. Not every form of lantana has been completely hardy this far north (new ones show up every year). Of the ones that have been reliably hardy, most of them are of the genus Lantana and the species camara. Some of the low growing ground cover types have been hardy in my yard but they are a different species.

'Miss Huff' has been the standard of winter hardy lantanas. My only complaints about it is that it gets mighty big and can take a long time to green up in the spring (more like early summer).

Every once in a while we will have a super cold winter that will kill off a bunch of "hardy" perennials. On those years you'll probably have to replace your lantanas.

o

Nice thing about Miss Huff is she can be planted between evergreen shrubs or among daylily plantings and provide a bit of unexpected color in a sea of green or after the daylilies quit blooming..

o

Thank you both! It seems that Miss Huff is the one I see. That helps a lot.

o

• Posted by LKZZ 7b (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 17:11

I love Lantanas - I live in SC. They bloom all summer and are beyond easy to care for. Put a generous amount of wood mulch around them to retain moisture and you can pretty much let them do their thing all season. Lots of butterflies and bees. I suggest cutting them back to the ground in the fall and covering with black plastic (stake the plastic so it does not blow off). This will protect against any below freezing temps during the winter months.

I've uploaded a pic of some of mine. 3 plants - a couple of yellow and and orange variety.

o

Wow...thanks for sharing! Is that the Miss Huff kind? My little annual one from Lowes isn't doing anything. I think I would like some like yours in my future shrub area. They are beautiful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here