Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elm Trees Dying

Posted by jdo053103 Charlotte (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 12:18

Anyone notice their elm trees dying from Dutch Elm Disease recently. I have a wooded lot mixed with winged and slippery elm that are dying rapidly each year. It starts at the crowns and next thing you know the tree is dead. Lost 6 last year and 3 more this year are showing signs.
I know winged elms are considered a weed down here, seem to pop up everywhere. Pretty tree when left to grow 40 ft tall.
Thinking about clearing them all out and replanting oaks or maples.
Anyone else in the Charlotte area notice this, been down here for 10 years and have never lost an elm until the last 2 years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elm Trees Dying

Really?
I never thought I'd live to see the day when I mightn't have to pull up hundreds of sprouting elms in my gardens.
And you're certain of the varieties you describe in your lot?
All I've ever seen are Chinese or Siberian varieties that drive me nuts with their seed production.

o

Yes, positive of the varieties. I have called the nc forestry dept on Thursday to get some information, they were intrigued and will be stopping by my property on Wednesday. They said what I described to them as being DED. I really hope it is something else, but the symptoms are spot on with DED.

o

Just an update, tests did come back positive for dutch elm disease.

o

So, jdo, what did you decide to do?

o

I cut down the 2 that came back positive and were in decline. Going to probably keep an eye on it. Have a bunch of winged and slippery elms so don't really want to cut down them all. The trees I have cut i have replaced with oaks and maples.

o

I only had two elm trees on my property in Durham. They both died two years ago. They were American elm. Definitely DED.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here