Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone seeing more crows over the last two years?

Posted by wertach 7b SC (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 12:21

I live near Fountain Inn, SC, about 17 miles south of Greenville.

I noticed that I had a lot more crows last year than normal and this year they have doubled!

They haven't caused a lot of trouble. They ate a few bean seeds and plucked some corn seedlings. They needed thinning anyway.

I can look out any window of my house and there will be several hanging around! When I go outside they fly away.

I don't know what is attracting them since nothing new has been planted.

I have large hickory trees and oaks so they may be eating the nuts. But those trees are at least 50 years old so they should have found them earlier!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone seeing more crows over the last two years?

• Posted by LKZZ 7b (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 14:46

Agee...I live in Roebuck (Walnut Grove area, Spartanburg County). I hear them too - lots of ruckus. Speaking of "more" in our area - how about the rain!?!

o

The rain is messing with me real bad!

It caused my first planted seeds rot in the ground. Then I couldn't plant because it was too wet. Now the weeds are taking over since I can't weed the wet ground! I sink up to my ankles!

I think my tomatoes are drowning too!

o

I've got more here than I've seen in the past. I kinda gave credit for that to the fact I'm about the last person left in a 5 mile radius of my place. Everyone else has already moved out. That has meant an increase in all the wildlife around here. I'm seeing more of everything this year.

o

nannerbelle, I didn't think about the change in the environment around here. I am the only gardener within 2 miles now. The older gardeners have died out and the widows don't plant anything.

Plus there is a fairly new subdivision that joins my property on what used to be farm land. And another sub on old farmland 1/2 mile away.

The crows may have lost their habitat!

o

Wasn't it a virus (West Nile?) a few years ago they told us would be evidenced by death of crows and bluejays?

We had both but never in any quantity even though we were amid farmlands of a more rural county. What I do notice is starlings are almost absent.

o

Perhaps so Dottie, but here I know the crow population has picked up in the last couple of years but I've always been covered in Blue Jays. I can't step out in the yard that I don't see several. The thing is now, we really don't have a lot of standing water in the area since all the people are gone. The natural water around me is moving and flowing creeks. Perhaps that has helped cut down on the virus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here