Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Privacy hedge

Posted by kathyinnc 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 08 at 12:37

I have a 2 acre lot that is basically open on all sides and very few trees. There is a driveway that runs between me and one of the neighbors which leads to another home behind me that can be seen from my back deck. There is no privacy any where in my yard. We will be planting some trees in the back that will help "block" the neighbors but I would like to create a privacy "fence" on the one side of the house using evergreen hedges. The area where the hedges would be planted is in full sun. I am looking for something that would be around 10ft at full maturity and very dense. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Privacy hedge

Years ago everyone planted leyland cypress but the cypress canker and last years drought has killed off thousands of mature cypress 'privacy hedges'. Seems like overuse of any plant type leads to increase in insect and disease problems.
You might consider using a variety of shrub and tree materials including native cedars and some deciduous types.
Just remember that whatever you plant in a densely packed row is going to need careful and frequent watering.

o

Please don't use Ligustrum or Privet - another commonly used plant that is an invasive pest in the southeast. Likewise for Elaeagnus.

Consider: Wax myrtle, hollies, Carolina cherry laurel, red cedar, 'Little Gem' magnolia. Most of these create shelter and food for birds which will attract them to your yard.

As dottie suggested, a mixture of plants, both evergreen and non-evergreen (deciduous) creates a more pleasing and disease resistant screen. With a two acre lot, you have room to something more natural than a formal hedgerow.

o

Buddleia -- grow fast, wide and are semi-evergreen until you cut them back. My 'Royal Red' bushes went from 2 feet high to 6 feet high already. Royal Red reaches 10x10. Butterflies love them.

Ornamental grasses -- add some tall grasses that are on the same schedule for cut back as the buddleia. Pink muhly, while short, looks great with Royal Red. I have a Miscanthus Cosmopolitan that reaches 8x6.

For evergreen, we love osmanthus fragrans.

If the soil is moist enough, a willow grows very fast. A corkscrew grows upright (one of my favorites). We have one that blocks the side view of our deck from the road.

There are some evergreen magnolias that grow to 30 feet... too tall for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here