Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tuberose ?

Posted by Itzybitzy 7NC (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 12:38

Hi guys, last(late) June I was given 2 or 3 tuberose'bulbs" they were label as "tuberose the double kind ready to be planted", so knowing nothing about them I put them in a pot and quickly they started growing foliage and didn't have time to bloom before cold weather arrive so they spent the winter in a black nursery pot with mulch, to my surprise earlier in spring I notice the little guys poking thru the mulch so I got them out and it was a huge clump, I'm not kidding is like 1 foot across so I planted them on the ground and is growing good foliage but no sign of blossoms anytime soon, so my ? is when do they usually bloom? or was I suppost to separate the clump? the place where I planted it gets afternoon sun about 6hrs.ish any tips,advice or experiences welcome and thanks in advance:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tuberose ?

Tuberose blooms late summer. They are not winter hardy. You have to protect them from winter. They smell very good and they are one of my favorites.

o

My tuberose have been blooming for more than 2 weeks now. These are from 5 bulbs I bought on ebay (from someone in TN) in February of 2011. Last year, I split the bulbs from one pot into 3. This year I didnt have time to split and all 3 pots are extremely crowded. These are 10 to 12 inch pots and one pot has about 20-30 flowering stems. They smell awesome in the evenings and are covered with bumble bees and other insects through out the day. One pot has the double variety whereas the other 2 pots are all singles. The doubles look like little Gardenias. These should continue blooming until frost. I will try and post pictures later.

o

Zoning may be an issue here. I notice that ninrejoshi is in 7b. I used to live in 7b and tuberoses were successful there.

My experience here in 7a is that they bloom the first year or maybe two and then, whether divided or not, do not bloom again but produce enormous foliage and roots. They bloom so late that they don't have enough growing time here after the blooms to make bulbs for next year; at least that's my theory. They are winter hardy in my yard. They just don't bloom again.

Itzybitzy, I hope you are in 7b.

o

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/113970391906544896284/albums/5928884444534963809/5928884443449455986

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of my tuberose

o

What a beautiful picture!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here