Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native lawn?

Posted by aisgecko 7b Raleigh (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 12, 11 at 12:54

Hi guys. Anyone have ideas for a native lawn to replace a once wooded area now tree free due to a tornado? Full sun all of a sudden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native lawn?

Oh No! You haven't posted in ages and now it turns out the tornadoes hit? yikes! I don't ave any suggestions, sorry. But wanted to say sorry about the tornado and happy to 'see' you back on here!

o

Too bad you can't start a pumpkin patch to cover the ground,deter weed growth and give you time til fall.
Are the stumps out ,ais?
What kinds of trees grew there? The leftover leaf litter may be from trees that deter undergrowth.

How large an area are you describing,ais?
Sloped,flat? Are heavy summer rains going to wash out the area or is it well drained.
Things to consider before investing in plantings or seed.
Sorry to hear you were tornado effected. That must have been so scary for you and yours.

o

it was terrifying. we had mostly pines and a couple of tulip poplars and sweetgums. the stumps are out and it's pretty clear. I think I'll lay hay down until fall before I plant seeds. I found one company that sells some kind of native grass mix but just not sure how it does. still I think I'll try it. at least now I can grow veggies :) full sun LOL

o

Glad you guys are ok! Did it damage your house at all?

o

no we were fine and my garden was so overgrown I'm looking at this as an opportunity to take control back. I saved the major things luckily. But I think I'll be needing to come to the fall swap ;)

o

Good! It's been far too long since you've come- we look forward to seeing you!! So glad you guys and your house were fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here