Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quirkpod

help me design a garden for this climate, full sun

Lavoie Boho
15 years ago

Starting from scratch for friend in Winston-Salem, moved here from France. Let's give it a touch of Provence, and also not hide the assemetrical architecture with any large trees on that left side. One nice shade tree on the right should do it, but what? Anything purple would make a nice contrast against the yellow house. Cant decide how much lawn to allow. They work and travel a lot. Thanks all. http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h229/Bostoncrocus/?action=viewt=100_2508.jpg

Comments (2)

• DYH
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have an asymetrical cottage style, so I understand not wanting to hide the shape. Ours is English cottage inspired, but some of the same elements come into play. Of course, we had to put a porch on ours to create passive solar. We couldn't afford a stone house, so we used stone elements everywhere we could.

{{gwi:577916}}

We were in France a few weeks ago. Been to Provence before,too. Since your friend is from France, she probably just needs to know a bit about what is grown in France that will work here in NC.

Are deer a problem?
    Are HOA covenants a concern?
    Is there a budget for hardscape to build a low stone wall or an aluminum (wrought iron look)? If using a wall, fence or hedge, step it back at least 4 feet from the street so that some gardening flowers can be on that side -- that's more of an American design, but it just looks better in a neighborhood like hers.

Some suggestions:

Lavender (Munstead, Grosso, Godwin Creek, Provence)
    Broom
    Rock Rose
    Delospermi Cooperii (ice plant)
    Roses (Knock Out are easy-care)
    Nepeta
    Coreopis
    Snapdragons (tall)
    Dusty miller
    Thyme would work in lieu of some lawn
    Oregano
    Dianthus
    Valerian
    Irises (Dutch, bearded, Japanese)
    Black-eyed Susans (unless she wants sunflowers)
    Pittosporum (check zone)
    Rosemary as hedges if fence is a problem
    look/shape like a mimosa tree (but not a mimosa)

Buddleia was also used a lot for hedges, but they actually shaped it into a flat-topped hedge, flat on the sides and kept it waist high.

I like spirea 'Neon Flash', but I don't remember seeing it in France. It works great in full sun, greens up quickly in the spring. Starts blooming in June.

They used a lot of cedars (like Italian), but arborvitae would work here for a smaller shape/scale.

There are boxwoods, but I don't put those in full sun here.

It's rare to see a "lawn", but when you do, it is something like these villas. Lawns are more formal, rather than cottage.

{{gwi:577917}}
    {{gwi:577918}}

In pots:
    Geraniums
    Agapanthus

I saw bottlebrush in several places. Don't know if this color works in your design.

{{gwi:577919}}

Buckeye was in a lot of places, but I don't think it does as well here in full sun...more like partial.

{{gwi:577920}}

Can't grow these trees:
    {{gwi:577922}}

Roses and snapdragons:
    {{gwi:577923}}
    {{gwi:577924}}

I have more photos from France in my gardening blog:

http://definingyourhome.blogspot.com/2008/05/flowers-in-france.html

Cameron

• alicia7b
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a cute house!

If a shade tree is put in the front yard, that yard is pretty small -- at least half of the yard will end up in shade, although that would take a while. Big tree -- red maple or sugar maple. Sugar maples do well even in Johnston County so should be OK in W-S. Small tree -- Vitex.

Purple: Homestead verbena, Buddleia, purple penstemon.

For a touch of Provence the only thing I know to suggest is lavender along each side of the sidewalk -- might be a bit of a maintenance bother with weeding though. Rosemary would be good too somewhere in the garden but I'd plant something dark behind it so it won't be lost against the house.