Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nannerbelle

Sorta OT, well maybe not

nannerbelle
14 years ago

OK, I'll just go ahead and post this, admins if it's not in the right place, feel free to move.

Many of you know that DH and I have been putting our massive dream deck on the back of the house. Well, the frame is done, and we are ready to install the decking now. Well we laid the first board across the frame yesterday and clamped it in place overnight. DH just went out to turn it, and had to kill 3 Black Widow spiders that had began to spin webs and nest under it. He got to thinking and looked up under our small, initial decks which are being replaced and saw another one and killed it. What is going on??!?!?!? There isn't any trash under these decks, there also isn't any mulch. leaves. weeds or grass, nothing but nice dirt. How do I rid myself of these poison pests and keep them away from my area??

Comments (3)

• aezarien
    14 years ago

You may receive oppositional opinions to mine because spiders are right up there with snakes as far as the "freak out factor" goes but I really wouldn't think you'd have to do anything. If you have wood stacked around waiting to be added to the deck that is probably what is attracting them. Once it is up and the deck is installed and being used, you are not likely to see them hanging around. Granted, that doesn't mean they won't be there but they are not going to come up through the woodwork to bother you. They tend to shy away from high traffic areas and will run from you if they sense you are approaching. Chances are that they have been looming around your property since you owned it and you never saw them until you gave them a new area to explore when you brought the wood in.

We see them when going in the crawl space, moving stuff around in the garage and lifting the well lid. I just take the broom and sweep them out of my way and carry on. Otherwise, they do not make their presence known to us and have never been found in the house.

Just be careful while working in that wood pile while you are constructing your deck. They don't move very fast so being aware that they could be there should be enough to keep you safe.

• nannerbelle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks aezarien, I do know we have them around, I've ran into several leaving bags of potting soil stacked up and not moved for a week or two. And in my garden shed but not this close and around the house. Spiders are a huge freak out for me, I actually can handle snakes better. The thing that freaked me out most, the wood for the deck was only delivered a few days ago, less than a week. And I'm scared of them coming in the house. My rule is if its not poison, I brush it aside and let it go even if it freaks me out. But poison spooks me badly. I know basically nothing about them, but if they aren't aggressive and come after vibrations that does make me feel some better.

• tamelask
    14 years ago

Actually, they are far from aggressive and not nearly as poisonous as the hype would lead you to believe. Brown recluse's poison is worse, though they too are shy. I've found a few black widows through the years, but never inside, and have only killed them if they were coming in (like on a houseplant in fall) or close to where my kids played when they were little. Of course, spiders don't really bother me, nor do snakes, so that has something to do with it also.