Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Gardenias

Posted by aeiger Z7bNC (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 14:23

Hello all, I just came home with 2 small (about 2-2.5 ') bushes from Lowes.(called August gardenia) They are quite healthy but a bit root bound. I plan on planting them at the back of the house which gets sun from early am to about 1PM. My question is when should I plant them. Direct in ground now or should I repot into something larger then plant late summer, early fall? They are in the spot I have planned for them, well watered and in a shallow pan of waterThanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Gardenias

i bought two of those exact same gardenias at Lowes about 4 years ago myself. I planted them in the August time frame and they today are over 5 ft tall! They load up with blooms and smell heavenly! I have them taken up right now in huge pots waiting to move to the new house with us. I didn't do anything special with mine, Miracle Grow and a dose of good potting soil in the hole with the plant and they were good to go.

o

Aeiger,
You can plant them now, make sure you put some composted cow manure and mulch around them though.
Your going to love those gardenias.
Hi Nannerbelle, how is the house going?
You must be so excited about moving, I think I would be jumping out of my skin. Let us all know when you move.

o

Hey Butterfly, it's coming along. I now actually have a roof walls and a well. Things are picking up speed now they have it dried in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here