When

July 11,12 and 13

See You there.

Blueangel

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    15 years ago

What city and state is it in? I am from another planet. In fact, there are a lot of "us" here multiplying like rabbits.

• blueangel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Plants delight nursery
    9241 Sauls road
    Raleigh,NC 27603
    www.plantdelights.com

Blueangel

• DYH
    15 years ago

My husband and I are going to try to go this Friday. We've never been, so we're looking forward to it. It will probably be 10 or so before we get there since we're in Chapel Hill and tend to linger a long time over coffee here at home in spite of our 7am wake up from our greyhound! LOL

Anyone else going on Friday?

Cameron

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

I'll be there either Sat or Sun afternoon depending on the weather and my busy schedule.

Don't go with the expectation for hours of shopping (which is very possible) go to tour the gardens. Officially known as Juniper Level Botanical Garden it serves as the showcase for all the plants they are offering for sale and new plants on trial to see how well they perform in zone 7. There are plants there that you will never see anywhere else. Bring a camera and a notepad.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

I go for inspiration, mostly. It makes for a wonderful couple of hours. We'll be on vaca this time so i won't be able to go. I find that shooting the label right after you shoot the plant you like helps to make it easier to find it later to order elsewhere or at PDN. They are very good about having everthing clearly labelled, which is wonderful. If you plan to shop, it helps to have a budget in mind- the plants are pricey.

• DYH
    15 years ago

I'm not planning to part with my dollars unless I find a crocosmia that I just can't live without! Those are perfect deer-resistant plants in my garden and I'd love to find a yellow/gold.

Cameorn

• laurabs
    15 years ago

Cameron - I'll be working there, so I do hope you introduce yourself. I'll be stocking, but hopefully I'll get to do a little checkout.

I'm not sure I've ever seen people leave without at least one plant, but good luck with that, hehehe.

Here is a link that might be useful: PDN Crocosmia

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

Love their open houses and try to get there every year - this year will be tough with my mother in hospice care and the fact that she lives with me so I hope y'all enjoy it. I really don't need anymore plants since I grow most plants myself but I go for the inspiration. The place is only about 20mins from me so I know anything that grows there will grow here :) .....

Lynne

• blueangel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will be there
    on Sunday.Hope
    to meet some of
    you.

Blueangel

• DYH
    15 years ago

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed touring the gardens at PDN. I took photos and will link to those either as an album or write up in my gardening blog. Oh WOW! It's really worth the drive over there.

Brought home a crocosmia 'Jenny Bloom' and cestrum 'Orange Peel'. The yellow/orange/gold color that I need in my garden.

We had lunch at the Farmers' Market Restaurant, went through the veggie and flower area (where we came home with 3 Provence Lavender).

Later.
    Cameron

• laurabs
    15 years ago

And I met Cameron & her hubby! I was going to tattle that she didn't leave empty-handed, but she beat me to it. :op

Thanks for shopping!

• bubba62
    15 years ago

What a great, great time. I've been just about every year for over 10 years, and every time I see something new and interesting. It's been cool to watch as things mature - this time what really floored me was the sunken garden, which has been in development for a few years, but really looks established now, and the allee of golden dawn redwoods (or maybe they're baldcypress - can't remember which) which backs up to it. It's amazing what one can produce, given (or, more accurately, having worked hard for and purchased) enough land, time, and physical labor.

• spazzycat_1
    15 years ago

Cameron,
    You should enjoy that C. 'Jenny Bloom'. One of my top care-free performers. I purchased it from PDN years ago.
    -Susan

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

Tony planted an "Orange peel" Cestrum in his permanent display garden out at the fairgrounds which is in full bloom and gorgeous right now.

I always swing by to visit with folks and end up taking something home. I also live close by so I know that it will do well in my yard if they grow it.

• DYH
    15 years ago

well, I moved TWELVE plants around today in order to tweak the design to include these PDN plants and the lavender! Isn't that the way it goes? You bring home a few and move a dozen! LOL

Neither the crocosmia nor the cestrum wilted today being planted around 9:00am this morning. I was relieved since it got so hot. We worked outside until 2:30 when we just couldn't take the heat anymore.

My husband mulched the garden today after the rain washed away most of ours over the last week or two. BTW, he has a degree in forestry and wildlife, so he loved those Dawn Redwoods at PDN. He pointed those out to me specifically.

• laurabs
    15 years ago

Yes, don't the Red Dawns look great? I have a Red Dawn, but mine doesn't have the bright foliage that Tony's row has. I suppose his are Gold Rush.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gold Rush Red Dawn Redwood

• DYH
    15 years ago

well, I didn't want to post my photos until the open house ended. Here's a link to the album. Forgive me for not taking the time to photograph the name labels...my husband loves to go to these things, but I think I'd wear out his patience by double-shooting every plant to get the name!

There are also some NC Farmers' Market photos at the end...so, when you start seeing those shots, you'll know it.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: PDN and the market

• DYH
    15 years ago

P.S. I took that bumblebee with me and got her to pose on all those blooms for me. It's the same bee, really it is! LOL

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Wow, I love those pics, I have never been able to go to PDN, oh, but I want too... They have a bunch of things I would like to have...
    I sure do wish I hadn't seen those farmer's market pics either, I saw some elephant garlic in those photos... I sure would like to have some of those to dang it!!!
    I always see something I want in plants!!! Great pics, thanks for sharing.
    :( Fran

• shari1332
    15 years ago

Thank you Cameron for the link to your pictures. I haven't seen one of the areas you showed - guess I need to look around next time I go. I like your veggie pics too btw:)

• nannerbelle
    15 years ago

Cameron, thanks for the pics!! I've never been, and being down here in SC, I doubt I will have an oppertunity to go. But I did explore their website, and was delighted with the varity and plants they offer. I purchased 4 plants on line and they came in today. I am absolutly impressed with the quality of plant and condition of the plants that I got. You can bet I'm going to be a repete customer for them!! :-) Now time to go garden!!