Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mystery plant in Lewisville, NC (pic)

Posted by quirkpod 7 Lewisville NC (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 24, 08 at 16:24

I have seen these growing in impossible places like cracks between pavement in the city, along overpasses and in abandoned wastelands. What is it? I have seen one with a trunk about 5 inches thick, so it must be a tree of some sort. I recently saw one growing in the woods, but this one is in full sun. Any idea? http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h229/Bostoncrocus/?action=view¤t=100_2588.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mystery plant in Lewisville, NC (pic)

That's a Paulownia tomentosa, aka Princess or Empress tree. Native to China but naturalized through NC and considered to be invasive and weedy. I've heard the wood is valued for furniture, musical instruments, etc, and they can look pretty amazing when coppiced to promote growth of those huge leaves, but I take them out if they grow in my garden because they outcompete just about everything.

o
RE: mystery plant in Lewisville, NC (pic)

They were the original wood used for disposable chopsticks. 20 years ago or so there was a shortage in Asia and people were actully sneaking into Botanical gardens and parks along the east coast to steal them and ship them back for big bucks. Plastics came to the "rescue" chopstick wise and now no one notices the invasion. As bad as Kudzu.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here