Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie630

Bad news..... saw my first Jap Beetle today!

carrie630
15 years ago

... that's always bad news, isn't it? But it was inevitable - at least in my yard!!

Carrie

Comments (14)

• Claire Pickett
    15 years ago

Yes, it is. I dread it. The lusty month of May is the only time we seem to be free of pollen dust and beetles.

None yet in Sanford, but we may wake up to them.

• nannerbelle
    15 years ago

I'm still hoping I moved so far out in the country they lost my address LOL I was lucky last year and didn't see a single one here. Hopefully there isn't anything they find a particular taste for around here.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Yes, Claire, but May has ticks and deerflies, so i think it's a wash. At least the Jb's don't bite us or carry diseases. Plus, this year has had a gloriously temperate spring! Given how bad the JBs were last year, maybe this year will be a light one. I sure haven't noticed near as many grubs as i've dug to plant.

• DYH
    15 years ago

We have been seeing them for a few days now. I sprayed my KO roses with a mix of Neem Oil, dish liquid and water. So far, there have been no JBs on the roses.

I also sprayed the weeping cherry. The leaves didn't like the mix and I'm getting some yellowing there. There are a few JB damage spots as it was difficult to spray compared to the roses.

Like Tamelask, I've not seen nearly as many grubs as last year. In fact, less than a handful. In 2007, I'd find 20+ in some spots.

Cameron (Chapel Hill)

• rosebush
    15 years ago

I don't even like to hear the words, J-B! :(
    Saw my first squash bug yesterday, and I don't know which bug I despise more. Anyway, I SQUASHED it! LOL

• tamelask
    15 years ago

squash bugs carry plant disease so i mind them more. So far as i know JBs don't transmit plant diseases.

• bissielizzie
    15 years ago

We are here in Johnston County and haven't seen any so far, but were over run with them last year.
    Just spoke with a friend in N. Raleigh and she has already trapped a slew of them. We treated the lawn and beds with Milky Spore. We have used it at other homes and know it works.

• deirdre_2007
    15 years ago

I was cleaning the kitchen after dinner and rather than toss out the water that my kids didn't finish, I brought it outside to water my zinnias. And it was then that I noticed that two of the leaves, had that famous lacy pattern. I said outloud, I wonder what's been eating you. And I looked around and sure enough, two Japanese Beetles were munching away. I went into the garage and pulled out my neem oil, mixed up a batch and set off spraying.

Dang, I hate these bugs. This will be my first year using neem, so I hope it works well. Oh, both buggers are no longer of this world!!!

• carrie630
    Original Author
    15 years ago

killed about 100 today - and it's only June 6th!! Between the rabbits, the deer, the Jap Beetles, etc. etc. it's no wonder I have a garden! (and that I still love gardening...) :0)

Carrie

• DYH
    15 years ago

I'm still not getting any damage on the roses. Last year, my roses were totally ugly from the JB damage. I think the Neem Oil is really working. These 100+ degree days are really difficult. I want to reapply the Neem, but I need lower evening temps to do it.

Cameron

{{gwi:578453}}

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Knock on wood, but i haven't seen any yet. Granted, it's been too hot and i've been swamped with work so i haven't been out much, but i was out for a few hours this morn and didn't see a single one. Maybe it'll be a light year here. Know what you mean about spraying, Cameron. I need to do oil spray and it's too hot. I'm way late, but have some scale issues and it's about all that will deal with them. Also need to spray surround on my fruit trees. Looks like it's to cool down some later this week, so maybe then.

• carrie630
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't spray - but i am telling you - this year may be different - Our Jap Maple always gets hit hard and it looks so beautiful now, I am rethinking....

• DYH
    15 years ago

Carrie -- I tried the Neem Oil mix on a few JM leaves. I'm not sure if it's suitable...perhaps with a lighter mixture. I was using the instructions on the Neem Oil for parts dish detergent, oil and water. If you decide to try it, do an unnoticeable sample first.

Neem Oil is a vegetable oil from the leaves and seeds of Neem (evergreen trees) in India. It isn't harmful to beneficial insects, birds or mammals. It stinks a bit and I think that's why the deer aren't nibbling my roses through the fence!

• carrie630
    Original Author
    15 years ago

good reminder, wonbyherwits - I have some of that Neem Oil - maybe my husband will use that instead. Thanks so much

Carrie

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer