Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zigzag_gw

Accidental Farmer - ty, squirrels (I think)

zigzag
14 years ago

In the spirit of keeping my backyard well stocked w/squirrels for my beagle to ride herd on, I installed one of those corncob 'ferris wheels' on the side fence for the furry rodents' pleasure. (Also had hoped to distract them from the sunflower seed bird feeders - well, that didn't work.)

It's just outside my dining room window and it is fun to watch the tree rats as they sit on the fence top and dine - they are cute! But, they're messy eaters and dropped corn kernels which pup was ingesting - not good for pup. So, I installed a empty windowbox type planter on supports just below the wheel, anchoring it w/a couple of hanging plants that needed an outdoor vacation for the summer and that collects 90% of the mess - phew, under control. But occasionally a kernel gets away and germinates right in the plant below! First time I plucked a 'weed' out of the plant, I was amazed to find it connected to a stray corn kernel - ok, now I get it, but am still amazed! I'm accidentally growing corn in a 10" hanging pot!

To further encourage bad squirrel behavior, I occasionally line up peanuts in the shell (from the grocery produce dept) along the fence top - again, the critters are cute to watch. Well, today I noticed a very large 'weed' in the plant below and when I pulled it out, I discovered it was a peanut plant w/the in the shell peanut as its root! This time, I'm pretty sure it was planted, it was too deep to have just fallen in! So now, I'm a peanut farmer too!

Amazing what Mother Nature can do on a tiny, city lot with just a pot or two of dirt and some industrious sqirrels!

I am so easily amused!

Comments (3)

• claudia_sandgrower
    14 years ago

Thanks for the giggle, zigzag! We occaisionally get sunflowers from the birdfeeder but peanuts AND corn?? Impressive! ;-)

• jitterbug4756
    14 years ago

Thats so funny.... the squirrells do drive bys on my feeders on such a regular basis Id thought of putting some food out for them in the hopes they'd quit tearing up my feeders.We had a Forester convention @ the Inn last month & I was asking all of them what to do with large squirrell population & the carnage @ the feeders...I'd tried last year putting chyenne pepper in w/ birdseed per Paul James. Said Audebon Socioty approved.Worked last year, this year like I spiced it for them !..LOL...Most of Foresters said suck it up & put food out in seperate area & MAYBE theyd leave the feeders alone.We have one I've seen the 4th year now, hes got a gray stripe on his back & is cocky as heck. He just climbs up on the post or the line or whatever the feeders attached to & shakes it & looks @ you while 2-3 of his buddies are underneath harvesting the loot..and I swear to you it looks like he's smiling...And what can you say to a squirrell that smart, except..Go ahead, help yourself buddy !! That wheel sounds like it would be fun to watch. TFS....Judy

• zigzag
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Like I said, I'm easily amused and am so happy that squirrels make my beagle do her daily forty laps .... heaven knows I'm not good for that relay! After I mentioned this to my son, his wife went out and bought a bag of raw peanuts and is going to try to do the squirrel thing - very funny! (Like any of us know how to grow peanuts!) I do have one squirrel planted plant remaining in the hanging pot - will watch to see how it progresses (very pretty foliage, btw).

I won't bore y'all w/my failed attempts at discouraging squirrels from my bird feeders ..... and the stories are many ...... but will offer a couple of absolutes.

Squirrels do not like safflower or nyger seed (and birds do) so even tho' they're both more costly, less waste/gluttoney = savings. I have a very small yard and it's impossible to squirrel-proof some of my bird feeders, so they're the safflower & niger buffet. I still play games w/the black oil sunflower seed feeders - and the squirrels are winning! But, I'll keep trying.

Early on I, too, tried the cayenne pepper route - no go, and a bit pricey - suspect that 'solution' was devised by a cayenne pepper manufacturer to spur sales!

Jitterbug, you've got an identifiable (by grey stripe) squirrel ....... Me too! But my little buddy is notable in that he/she has but half a tail (sad baby squirrel-hood accident, I suspect). He/she has been around for nearly five years now and when he/she is absent, I miss him/her. I suspect I have generations of squirrels right here in the yard, but Stumpy Squirrel is the only one I readily recognize!

I can't say that the corn 'ferris wheel' for the squirrels has lessened their feastings on the other feeders, but they are fun to watch ...... and they do keep the beagle on alert (good thing she can't climb trees or they'd be squirrel toast!).