Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Verbascum blattaria

Posted by rosebush z7 NC (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 08 at 16:36

Ohmigosh! I came upon a beautiful bloom stalk while walking up the weedy path near the raspberry bed. It was familiar somehow, like some kind of mullein or a verbascum. Just found it online and it is a verbascum blattaria. Such beautiful little flowers! I took a few photos but don't have them off the camera card yet.
Are y'all familiar with this one? Is it common? I have never seen it out there before. . .I really like it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Verbascum blattaria

Funny you should mention this, a friend just asked about the same plant. Looks like it is not native and usually found on "roadsides, waste places, old fields".

That would lead one to believe it can be a aggressive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moth Mullein

o

Thanks, esh, for the link. It is indeed listed as "alien" but it sure is pretty. But then, I liked the ox-eye daisy until I found out how invasive it was! LOL :) Doesn't take much. . .

o

I would much rather have any self seeding flowers than the rampant crabgrass taking over my garden.

Nancy the nancedar

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here