Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pipevine success!

Posted by trianglejohn z7b NC (johnbuettner@hotmail.com) on
Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 17:56

So I grow this odd low growing form of Aristolochia in the hopes that Pipevine Swallowtail butterflies will find it and lay eggs on it. True to form it took the adults about 3 years to find it in my new garden (same as it took in my old garden). The adults don't hang around for long but it is always nice to see them when they're here. Their caterpillars are kinda like creepy aliens from Mars - at least they are easy to see.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pipevine success!

Wow! Congratulations!

o

Very cool!

o

The problem with growing food for Pipevine Swallowtail Butterflies is that they only eat leaves from Aristolochia vines, the most common of which is Dutchman's Pipe - vine that can take over a porch or arbor and be quite hard to keep under control. I don't remember the name of the pipevine variety I grow but it stays short - maybe 2 feet tall, has small yellow pipe shaped flowers, it is invasive but easy to yank out of wherever you don't want it growing. I got it in Sanford at B.B.'s (the garden center we are not allowed to mention by name here on GW).

o

awesome- i'm jealous! they haven't found mine yet. if you have an overage, let me know...

o

T - they've all gone away, hopefully to pupate. Do you need some of this pipevine? or were you wanting to put them on your 'Calico vine' (or whatever that vine is called)? I like the way this vine stays small and out of the way.

o

i have the little one from bb's, and it's been in the ground for several years, but no cats. Same one you had at your other house that pops up here & there. Sigh. I do have the giant flowered one in a pot,but nothing on it, and i have the small, variegated native groundcover one, too. I bought a big guy at UNC bot garden but could never decide where to put it so it's still pot bound. I just thought i'd ask if you had too many - seems like oftentimes caterpillars can end up being too many of a good thing. If you ever do get in that situ, i'll take some off your hands. :)

o

The smart thing would be for me to notice when the adults are here and look for eggs laid on the leaves and snip a leaf and take it over to your plants. There's just something about the word 'smart'... you know what I mean?

o

know EXACTLY what you mean, and i'm in the same boat, honey. :)

o

I saw another adult today!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here