Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluemoon2_gw

New house, big yard...how can I learn about it?

bluemoon2
15 years ago

We just moved to Greenville, SC and our house has a beautiful large yard with lots of different trees, shrubs, and small plantings. I'd like to identify everything and learn how to take care of it, including the lawn (I've never lived in this part of the country and it's been awhile since I've had grass). I'd also like to plant more things, although this is probably not the time to do it. And the irrigation system could probably use some work. Do you have any suggestions on how to proceed?

BTW, someone identified the poison ivy for me just a few days ago. Luckily I hadn't gotten any oil on me!

Comments (11)

• lindakimy
    15 years ago

I've always believed that when you move into a new place it is good to take a year to observe. (If you can control the urge to plant.)

You need to learn which way the sun shines...and for how long at what time of year. A notebook helps.

And you need to poke around and see what you have for dirt. The BEST thing you can do for your garden is to work on your dirt. Compost...manure....whatever it takes! It will SO pay off.

If I were you I would start taking photos of the plants you don't recognize and put them up here in the plant ID forum. They can tell you. Google them and figure out what they need.

Take in any plant or garden tours you can find in your area so that you learn what grows well there. (Take notes.) And start a "want list".

Just don't get in too big a hurry to start planting. You need to lay the groundwork first and find out what you have, what will work, and what you REALLY want.

BTW...welcome to South Carolina!!

• dottie_in_charlotte
    15 years ago

As Linda said, hold off for almost a year because we're at that point where spring blooming plants that die back and go dormant will be invisible.
    Be aware of your local laws regarding watering and using sprinkler systems.
    Last year's drought was awful and spring rains will deceive you into thinking the ground has recovered but it hasn't.
    If we don't get a repeat of last years drought you'll find how satisfying gardening in Autumn is.

If you are desperate to plant, try planters this season until you have a record of what comes up where in the yard.

Keep in touch with the Carolina gardenwebbers to help you identify plants you're not familiar with and if you don't know how, others here will teach you how to put photo links into your posts. I heartily recommend "Landscape Plants of the Southeast" by R. Gordon Halfacre and Anne R. Shawcroft. It's my most used reference book over the past 20+ years since moving South.

Most of all...WELCOME!

• bullthistle
    15 years ago

Also check your sprinkler system and make certain it is effective and if you cannot handle it have some come in and reset the heads or even change them and as you expand the planting area you can always make changes then.

• Dibbit
    15 years ago

Welcome to the area!

I would check and see when the next Master Gardeners class in Greenville County is offered - it may not be offered again until fall. Whenever it is, take it - you will learn a LOT about gardening in general (no matter how much you already know) and about gardening in your area in particular. Plus, you meet fellow gardeners!

I second the recommendations to wait for a year to do any major changes, see what you already have (any early bulbs will have grown out and gone dormant by now, for example), and improve the soil as much as possible. Of course, if you REALLY can't stand a certain plant, then take it out, by all means! It is your garden, after all. Even if the previous owner obviously treasured it, you don't have to!

I would visit as many nurseries and public gardens as you can, see what grows here, what you like and what you don't, and generally get familiar with conditions that you have, and the conditions that plants require to do well in the area. I don't know where you moved from, but some plants that grew well for you won't do at all, some will need afternoon shade, and some will be annuals instead of perennials, and vice versa.

Another good book, while covering a wide area, is the Southern Living Garden Book - it lists plants and cultivars that do well across the south, as well as giving general garden advice. Any of the books by Toby Bost are good, as are books by Alan Armitage, Felder Rushing, etc.. Even though dated, there is a new edition/collection of Elizabeth Lawrence's articles out - although she gardened in Charlotte in the 50's on, many things will carry over.

This is getting into the time of year when people stop planting things anyway - it's too hot, both to be working hard out in the sun, and too stressful for trying to get plants established. If there are water restrictions again this summer, you do not want to watch your new purchase wither up and die from lack of water! You may lose a few plants in the existing garden anyway - keep an eye out for signs of stress. Saving the water as you wait for the hot water to get to a given sink may be necessary.

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

If you post pictures on this forum or the Name That Plant forum people can ID plants for you.

A great gardening book for this area is A Southern Garden by Elizabeth Lawrence. A wonderful gardening book and a wonderful read.

• Dibbit
    15 years ago

I forgot to add, take a notebook with you and write things down. Even though you will probably THINK you will remember what is where and when it flowers, you will probably forget. Making diagrams, even rough ones, may help as well, as you can see what is next to what, and where it is in relation to other things and top the house. If you go around once a week or so, you can get a good picture of how your yard/garden looks throughout the year.

I know some - me for one - have happily planted away, thought we were done, and realized that there is NOTHING of interest for a certain period, so have had to edit and add in what was lacking.

• gnomey
    15 years ago

Hi neighbor! I'm down in Pendleton. I think you've gotten some great advice here and I completely agree that you should focus on the soil first and start composting if there is any way possible.

You've come to the right place to learn about your plants and gardening. I have learned so much about gardening here. There has also been a lot of trial and error, heartbreaking plant losses and fantastic new finds along the way too.

Good luck with your new garden. I started with primarily clay a few years ago and have made a lot of improvements along the way with compost and lots of mulch each year that I have been able to garden. My neighbors are pretty amazed now that I can easily put the shovel into the soil and have some nice dark soil about a foot down now. I owe a lot of that to the mulch that I've added over the years and the earthworms that come to work the soil for me.

• bluemoon2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the book recomendations and good advice! I wish that I would have started a notebook a few weeks ago, as I've seen a few things come and go since then. One area that "went" is the flowerbed by the driveway, due to hungry bunny rabbits! I'm not going to replant that area for awhile, as I'm still trying to figure out the irrigation system and don't care to water by hand. I'll think about starting a compost pile and how to improve the soil for next planting season.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Landscape Plants of the Southeast is a really great book. I wish he would update it though.

• Lynda Waldrep
    15 years ago

I see that many mentioned soil, but don't forget to have a soil test. Do it for the many different areas of your yard. I did six when I sent it in! In NC Extension does it, but I don't know about SC. As you wait the year that people have recommended, don't forget to check outside at night. Depending in which side of Gv you are on, you may have incredible night views of the distant mountains. I grew up in Greenville. It is a very pretty place. Wish I could be there to say, "Welcome."

• lsst
    15 years ago

In Greenville, you can take the soil samples to the Clemson Extension office at the Greenville County offices at University Ridge.

If you contact the Greenville Master Gardeners, a member may be able to help you identify plants. Also, your new neighbors may help.