Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zigzag_gw

Friday 6/27 storm

zigzag
15 years ago

These storms tend to localize and I got mine last night. High winds, torrential rain, lots of noise and lightening. Casualty here are my patio tomatoes in earthboxes. They were huge - too huge, I'm afraid, I should have pruned them earlier. Last night's storm took them to their knees - bent main stems over supports.

I propped them back up as best I could, but fear the whole crop is lost. They were so heavy w/green fruit - best I'd seen in years. Now probably gone. I am so sad.

Comments (12)

• DYH
    15 years ago

Sorry to hear of your damage. Hopefully you didn't lose the entire crop.

We got a little rain...the last few times that it has rained it didn't soak in even an inch. We really need rain here just south of CH.

Cameron

• zigzag
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Cameron - we're desperate for rain here in North Raleigh too, but last night's more than half an inch came so fast and hard that it was of little benefit, I fear.

I'm hoping the tomato stems have enough left in them to transmit whatever the fruits need to ripen. I was really looking forward to home grown 'maters this year and they were just beginning to color up.

I'm such a whiner - this isn't like losing a multi-acre crop to hail or freeze .... but ..... they were my babies :o(

• aezarien
    15 years ago

We had a storm today with hail and massive winds and all of my tomatoes are laying on the ground so I certainly sympathize. It isn't a multi-acre crop but it's work to keep them babies alive and producing all the same. We have a huge storm heading our way that stretches from Pennsylvania to Alabama. I would be surprised if all of NC doesn't get a nice shower at least. I love the rain but the hail and wind I could definitely do without.

• jqpublic
    15 years ago

We've had severals storms here in N. Raleigh for the past couple of weeks...have definitely greened up the plants and plumped our tomatoes. I think one last week knocked several tomatoes to the ground. We propped them back up and supported them with twine connected to our fence. I think it helped out a lot. Hopefully yours will be fine as well! So far so good though! No red one quite yet!

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Well, send some down here to garner because they keep missing us! We haven't had good rain for weeks! we've had a couple 1/8" inchers that do nothing but make it muggy. It's getting so dry.

• spazzycat_1
    15 years ago

Yeah, I'm in southern orange too, and we've had zilch rain for over 4 weeks. All the storms we've had over the past two weeks have either gone to the north or south or just broken up right before they reach us. Will somebody turn the force-field off?

• lsst
    15 years ago

We had a huge band of storms coming at us last night but they completely broke apart before they reached us. I just knew we were going to get rain but not one drop fell here.

• aezarien
    15 years ago

Yeah, that storm system started to break apart right past Asheville.

• DYH
    15 years ago

I had to get out in the garden and plant this morning...some replacements from Bluestone that I had to finally plant. I couldn't believe the DRYNESS of the soil. It's a miracle that anything is alive. I haven't been irrigating and now I'm thinking about it.

Yep...those storms seem to open up in downtown Chapel Hill, but we just get the very edge of sprinkles.

• jqpublic
    15 years ago

If you didn't get anything today I am very sorry, but it seems like most of the Northern Piedmont got some today.

• aezarien
    15 years ago

Heh.. we got a nice pour minus the crazy wind and hail today. I managed to get out there pre-storm and get those tomatoes trellised and most of them seem to be doing ok. I did have a few broken ones but I am just pleased that they all are not gone.

• DYH
    15 years ago

We finally got a good rain last night. Just in time for my garden. I was still surprised how dry it was when I dug up ripped out the annuals from my planters and put them in the garden. I'm not wanting to use water on annuals in planters.