Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deirdre_2007

Would you transplant a shrub right now??

deirdre_2007
15 years ago

Okay, I think I know the answer to my question already, but I'll be honest and say that I'm a bit impatient and I want to do something now, even though I know I should wait until Fall. I'm hoping that if I hear enough voices of reason, that I'll refrain from what I'm thinking of doing . . .

I have a long row of about 15 shrubs, that were just identified here in this Forum, as Ligustrum. I understand they're incredibly invasive. So the plan is to get rid of them, and plant something in their stead. So yesterdy, I dug up four of them. They were planted about 2 feet apart, and in their place I planted 2 tiny Yuletide Camellias. I think they were 1 gallon plants. Yes, it looks pretty silly right now, but on a shoestring budget, what can you do???

I have a 1 gallon azalea and "mohawk" viburnum, that I plan on moving to this location in the Fall. I planted the viburnum last Fall, and the azalea this Spring. Now my gut tells me to leave everything as it is right now, and wait until the Fall because of cooler temperatures etc. My impatient self, wants to do the transpant now.

The location is heavily mulched, 3-4 inches of hardwood mulch. It is shaded in the morning, and then gets full sun (noon) and then dappled sun (3:30ish) for the rest of the afernoon.

Of course, I could always take out all the shrubs just leave the garden empty.

Sorry for such a long-winded tale. Any thoughts???? Like I said I need a voice of reason here!!

Comments (8)

• bullthistle
    15 years ago

If we had a rainy summer I'd say go ahead but since we don't no sense taking any chances. You have the ideal location to move now but I am afraid the plants would transpire too much without the humidity so just hold off.

• karen__w z7 NC
    15 years ago

Wait. I'm always sorry later when I move a shrub or tree this time of year. The last time I did was two years ago, and it's still recovering.

• DYH
    15 years ago

Even in a rainy year, I don't plant anything after July 1st. I wait until fall.

So, I wouldn't hesitate to remove something that I hated. However, I wouldn't want to risk moving/planting something that I loved.

Meanwhile, to keep your ligustrums from flowering/seeding out, trim them with hedge trimmers. They can take the pruning. I have a few Swift's Creek which I'd like to get rid of, too. We keep ours trimmed -- a mounding shape, not straight across. By doing a mounding shape, you get the sides as well as the tops.

Cameron

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

If you really want to play in the garden you could dig up the ligustrums and really work on improving the soil in that area until fall weather. You could also develop of "nursery" bed to hold over shrubs you find on sale - a place where you can repot them into better soil and bigger pots and baby them until better weather.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Yep, I'm with John, take those out and use the time to improve the soil, adding organic matter. Those new shrubs will love it.

And a personal thank you for taking out the ligustrums. I wish more people could be convinced to do so.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Amen. i was very disappointed when my neighbors planted 3. sigh...

• Claire Pickett
    15 years ago

I've moved large shrubs in late Oct./Nov. with a 100% success rate.

That being said, I worked for a greenhouse that always recommended Ferti-lome's Root Stimulator. They claimed that they moved several large shrubs in the dead of summer using this product and they all survived. It's very inexpensive too.

• deirdre_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, thank you everyone!!! Very smart suggestions. I will remove the remaining shrubs as I can. It's pretty hot right now, so I can take my time doing it. I love the idea of improving the soil in the meantime. Very smart. I have a huge pile of compost that needs to be turned and aired out. I think I'll take some of that and put it in the places where I'll eventually do my plantings in the fall.

Thank you all for the fine ideas!!!

Oh, I was at Home Depot over the weekend, and I didn't I see lots of Ligustrum for sale!!!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor