Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
set me straight on orange lily's PLEASE

Posted by dinajean upstate SC -Zone 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 19, 10 at 21:00

I have orange lily's growing in the ditch......I and everyone else seems to just call them daylily's

Then mary gave me an orange daylily except it has a double bloom...she calls it an old-timey daylily.

then I have a lily with spots on the petals...someone called it a tiger lily...

then I have a lily with the same leaf structure as the "tiger lily" but the flower has no spots, and it is a lighter orange, and there are black seeds that grow on the leaves near the stem...I was told it was an oriental or asian lily.

Then someone the other day called the common ditch lily a tiger lily...SO NOW I AM REALLY CONFUSED.

I do have pix if need be.... I am off for the evening but can post pix on Sunday.

Thank you for any help.

Dina in Pickens, SC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: set me straight on orange lily's PLEASE

Dina - everyone is right except the last person that calls daylily/ditch lilies, tiger lilies. They kinda sorta look alike so I can see where some folks might get the names mixed up. The orange day lily has been around so long that some folks think they're native (they originally came here from Asia, just like honeysuckle which has been here so long that I believe some states have it as their state flower!). Tiger lilies only bloom once and sometimes make the dark bulbets in the spot where the leaves join the stalk (think of those things as tiny bulbs that act like a seed, but they are not the seeds. Lily seeds are flat and papery). Daylilies can bloom all summer long (some take a break after blooming but then bloom again). Orientals and Asiatics can also be orange and plenty of them have spots so plenty of them look very much alike. The plants look different though so once you grow daylilies you should be able to spot the plants. The double orange ones are an old southern favorite that has been around for a long long time.

Believe it or not, I have been to Pickens many times - even before I moved to Raleigh from Oklahoma City.

o

John has it perfectly right, but I thought I'd give you the scientific name for the daylilies that grow in the ditch: Hemerocallis fulva. Most are the single form, but somewhere along the line one came out double and people have been cultivating it ever since. According to Wikipedia, those came to America from Europe in the 17th century (originally from Asia to Europe). Another popular one is the sweet scented Lemon Lily (H. lilioasphodelus) which for some reason did not spread as much but it is still a favorite (and you would be lucky to find someone to share with you - they are a treat).

The one called "tiger lily" with the black bulbils on the stems is scientifically known as Lilium lancifolium.

Both plants are common old fashioned passalong plants because of their ease in propagation.

o

The double one is also called 'Kwanso'.

o

• Posted by dinajean upstate SC -Zone 7b (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 21, 10 at 18:39

thank y'all so much - i sure do appreciate it...

dina in pickens.:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here