Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Southern Living July article on Cam and her garden

Posted by dottie_in_charlotte z7-8 NC (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 25, 10 at 21:02

This was a great article but all too brief. Great photos,Freda.
The short list of deer resistant plants/shrubs lacked vitex which is one of those aromatic leaved plant materials that deer avoid. A valuable flowering tree, it can flower repeatedly three or four times a year if you deadhead the seed heads.
Bambi may leave coneflowers (echinacea) alone but Thumper eats this down to ground level. They also come back and eat any new growth sprouting from the echinacea roots.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Southern Living July article on Cam and her garden

Dottie -- Steve selected the plants to feature and I had no idea what he'd use. He and the photographer walked around taking photos.

I have so many more plants than mentioned -- vitex, buddleia, monarda, salvia, ornamental grasses..and on and on.

Thumper and his buddies hang out in my garden and I ran two out last evening. The only repellent that I use is for rabbits, not deer, and I only spray rudbeckia and the echinacea when they are a few inches high. Once they are in bloom, I stop spraying. The repellent that works best for me is I MUST GARDEN that is made locally in Chapel HIll, but I have no affiliation with them.

Thanks for the feedback on the article.

o

Freda, ever try Bobbex?

o

Just got done reading the article and came here to post a thread about it - ya beat me Dottie :D - I agree it was all too brief - thank goodness we have her expert advice and knowledge on a pretty regular basis - both here and on several other GW forums plus her blog :) ......

Lynne

o

Never tried Bobbex. I have so few plants to protect from rabbits (mostly the constantly reseeding rudbeckia) and the coneflower seedlings that I start.

Lynne - Thank you! I was a very reluctant subject for Steve. He was after me for over a year. I think I need another 10-15 years to get the garden the way I want it! :-)

If this heat doesn't kill all the plants....we've had no significant rain here in the month of June...the hottest on record. Was 101 yesterday.

o

Here in western Union Cty we watch the thunderclouds drench from SouthPark up to the lake areas while we get brief light showers on the perimeter of the storms.
Union never stopped the watering restrictions but I'm sure I'm not the only one sneaking extra water to the beds and shrubs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here