Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dinajean_gw

upstate south carolina - pickens county - whats blooming

dinajean(SCzone7b)
14 years ago

Hey y'all

I have 10 acres that we have ben clearing, once used to be a beautiful place, but left unattented for too many years. We live closeby and I work over there every day, pushing back woods and creating new flowerbeds. I have been keeping track of what is blooming what time of the year so I can create a garden that will have something blooming all the time. This list so far only consists of the flowers/shrubs I already have.

I would like to compile a calender of what is blooming for the full year and there is alot of stuff I dont have, dot know when it blooms.

If y'all could just give me a reply and let me know whats blooming so I can create a calender. Once I finish, I will be happy to send it to anyone interested.

Thanks for yur help!!

Dina in PICKENS, SC

Comments (6)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    14 years ago

Dina, so much depends upon weather and water. Right now, the vitex shrub/trees are in full bloom and so fully blooming you can actually notice the fragrance..something of a cross between a mild lilac fragrance and a buddleia (butterfly bush). Most of the rudbeckia (gloriosa daisies) are in their first bloom and the perennial ageratum is just beginning to flower. There's a sage that blooms a periwinkle color that is just beginning. I have two varieties of indigofera blooming like crazy, one tall, one low. Most of the daylilies are done except for the named ones with the huge 6' across blooms. Black eyed susans are developing buds. Tobacco is blooming now as are the buddleias.
    Side of the road blue asters are pretty much done with the main blooming that is noticeable as you drive by.
    Hydrangeas all in bloom (though I don't have any due to deer). Obviously, the carpet roses (in their third bloom) and the shrub roses are in full bloom.
    Perennial geraniums bloomed heavily about three weeks ago and will continue sporadically.
    I have other blooming shrubs that I just can't remember the names (it's late and I'm tired).
    Now this is from NC about 3 miles from the SC border and, as I mentioned, weather temps and rain have a lot to do with what's blooming when.

• dinajean(SCzone7b)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks Dottie -

That will help. I have a friend who baught an old place in North Carolina which is meticulously landscaped and I guess the old woman did her research over the years and there is always SOMETHING of color in the yard. I know the weater does affect this. I am just trying to get a general guide going. Thanks for the reply!

• trianglejohn
    14 years ago

I would think the heat of summer and the depth of winter would be the tricky times of year to find lots of flowers. It can be done - but it just seems that a lot of stuff is not blooming when it gets really hot or really cold.

Rose of Sharon and Crape Myrtle are pretty reliable summer heat bloomers and they now come in a bunch of shapes, sizes and colors. It seems to me that the white crapes bloom earliest and don't last as long, whereas some of the bright pinks seem to bloom all summer. But the white ones tend to have the prettier bark so I recommend planted all colors just to be safe.

Crocosmia, Monarda, and Gailardia - all types, seem to start blooming around now and keep going until fall.

I've been to Pickens! Upstate SC is one of my favorite areas in the world. I have friends who live on Lake Jocassee above Pickens and my mothers folks come from Belton, south of there - so I drive through that area at least once a year. I would think that if you keep an eye out while you drive around you should see what's in full bloom in some of the downtown flowers beds in any of the larger towns in that area.

• gusolie
    14 years ago

A really easy way to get a broad list would be to visit the websites of some of the more legit botanical gardens and look at their "highlights" or "what's in bloom" lists for each month (or by the week, however they list them).

Clemson's Botanical Garden of South Carolina is one, Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia is another, and even though it is maintained horribly now, Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden in Gastonia are ones to see what they list as in bloom, and then + or - a couple weeks based on their location in comparison to yours.

• drippy
    14 years ago

I traveled from the Upstate to Asheville today, and part of Blue Ridge Parkway - what I saw at the side of the road were lots of daylilies, and black-eyed susans.

• mfc1
    14 years ago

I know flowers are wonderful and I did the same thing with my yard (flowers) 12 years ago. If I could do this over again I would start with the bones. Choose your shrubs and choose ones that bloom just as flowers would. Add evergreens so you have year round color (even green is great in winter)be careful when you are choosing perennials.. ask friends which reseed with abandon or you will spend your free time WEEDING! Best of luck with your new garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Common Ground

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm