Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Permaculture in South Carolina?

Posted by granolaeeter Midlands SC (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 22:09

Are there any South Carolinians practicing Permaculture?
I have recently become interested in it and started applying some permaculture techniques.

Lots to learn and I would like to connect with South Carolina gardeners who are doing the same thing. Many of the principles that apply to other areas, even as close as NC, don't really apply to us in South Carolina.

I would be happy to follow posts here or correspond via e-mail. I have started a very small hugelkultur bed and am applying some of the techniques to my existing beds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Permaculture in South Carolina?

Permaculture is a wide ranging concept that includes simple things like urban green spaces and natural local agriculture techniques. Some of their stuff is reminiscent of the 70's ecology movement, concerned with sustainable resources. I'm not sure why there would be application differences between the Carolinas.

o
Permaculture in South Carolina

An example would be using rhubarb in a guild - we can't use it here because it does not thrive in this area.

Neither does doing anything that involves using snow as an insulator or working with the frost line - we don't have one.

When I moved to SC in '87 I had to learn a completely different way of growing things and different cycles of planting. We don't plant our pansies, spinach, or english peas in the Spring if we want to look at them for very long or have any to eat - here they need to be planted in late summer or fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here