Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
weird foamy looking ? fungus

Posted by swarmina (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 18, 06 at 22:25

I have a ? about something I saw on a monkey grass plant this w/e. It is white, soft, puffy, foamy looking, almost like marshmallow and was all around the base of the plant and leaves. It had some more slimy looking clearer stuff at the base. I tried to hose it off and some of it was pretty tenacious. I ended up just digging up the plant and tossing it and sprayed fungicide in the area. What the heck is it??? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: weird foamy looking ? fungus

Noticed a similar fungus near my daylillies only this was yellow. Did look like melted marshmallows, up to an inch thick and appears to be only on top of the soil. I attributed it to all the rain we had last week.

It was half on tripple shredded hardwood mulch spred in the early spring and soil ammended with lots of leaf mulch. It did spread to bare soil on one end. Sorry I didn't get a picture before removing it!

o

Both of these sound like one of the many slime fungus, a totally harmless but unsightly organism. If so, fungicides are not warranted. Images would help, of course.

Slime molds come in a wide variety of colors and textures, and are often found growing on mulch, though that is not a prerequisite. Some species will actually move around as it develops, even crawling over sidewalks, etc.

o

Cuz'n Dorie nailed it. Slime mold, frequently referred to in lay terms as "dog-vomit fungus". Neat stuff, if unsightly, and non-hazardous, to boot.

o

Great news, thank you. I simply scraped up what I could and tossed it in the way back woods. The dog-vomit fungus is a perfect description.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here