Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for replanting a razed hillside?

Posted by chilehed z5 MI (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 16, 09 at 23:25

I just found out that my in-laws ended up with a razed hillside at their place near Bat Cave. Long story, not worth repeating and I don't know how big the area is, but they had a lot of mature hemlocks, hickorys and oaks, plus the usual rhodo maxima, some silverbells and I don't know what all else.

Dad's about to get someone to replant, but he isn't a plant guy and is likely to get stuck with whatever someone wants to foist on him. I want to give him a pick list of natives (or at least not invasive aliens) that will be good for the critters.

I'm thinking things like pecan, hickory, white oak, beech, persimmon, sugar maple, carolina hemlock, eastern red cedar, cunninghamia, amelanchier, pawpaw, hackberry, buckeye, wax myrtle, viburnum prunifolium, and mountain laurel.

Anyone have better suggestions, and an idea as to where some good local sources are?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for replanting a razed hillside?

Unless the stumps were ground down or pulled up and the topsoil carted away, I'd expect a lot of the trees to re-sprout from stumps or roots in a season or two. There are likely to be some seeds sitting in the soil as well. Perhaps wait until next year before spending lots of money on replanting?

I recently ran across an interesting article suggesting that the ability of many North American trees to re-sprout after cutting is an adaptation to beavers. Trees in Chile and Argentina evolved without beavers and die when they are cut down. Consequently, escaped N. american beavers are doing a huge amount of damage.

o

You might try this website....
www.ncsu.edu/goingnative

It has lots of information on planting/landscaping/design with native plants. :)

o

Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately, they sent a bulldozer through the area so it's pretty torn up. Little chance of the woody stuff resprouting. It's about 15,000 square feet of bare dirt.

I'm a bit frustrated. He had it hydroseeded with lawngrass, rather than taking my recommendation to use bluestem and switchgrass and the like. *sigh* Oh, well, it's his place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here