Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aezarien

Are There Enough People on This Side of the Earth..

aezarien
15 years ago

... for a central/western piedmont swap?

Comments (24)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

well now that you put it that way, you might not get that many ppl to look....lol.
    There gonna think it is something weird...of course you know I looked cuz I saw your name....LOL.

I have been trying to figure out where I could hold a swap meeting for years and I STILL have not found a suitable place in this area.
    I want to have a covered area, electric outlets, bathrooms and so forth....Don't know where that could be.

:) Fran

• aezarien
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hrm... Crowder's Mountain state park perhaps. Dunno about electrical outlets but they have the rest. I think it is like $65 a day. I don't know how they would feel about bringing plants/seeds though... always a chance some of them might escape.

There is always somewhere that wants someone to rent it. It's just a matter of finding it. Hrm....

My yard is big enough to have something like that but I do not have a covered area. Well.. yeah I do. I have a garage. I have a bathroom off to the side of the garage as well. It would just be a matter of cleaning out the garage lol. And of course, discussing it with my husband.

I'll be pretty busy tomorrow but Tuesday I can make some calls and see what is around here. I'm sure there is somewhere we are just forgetting about....

• lylesgardens
    15 years ago

if we have it closer to Charlotte, I think it will generate quite a bit of interest. I would attend so would my closest friend i am sure. There are a lot of plant and garden growers over this way!

Lyle

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

I forgot about Moss Lake, they do have a place with bathrooms and a little shelter place. I wonder if they would be willing to rent it for a morning/day/evening? I have seen someone hold a BDay get together there. There is also another park area in Gastonia on Hudson Street I believe. Don't know anything about it, but do know someone who might. I will email and see if I can found out anything about it too.
    I would rather stay in the Cleveland County area, but HEY, you never know what might be found somewhere else.

Lyle, there is a swap for Charlotte. I am not sure when or where, but I have seem it mentioned before.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moss Lake info

• plantsonthepoint
    15 years ago

Fran,
    I lived beside Moss Lake for nealy five years and NOW there is talk about a plant swap there! I know the area, it's a fantastic place to hold a swap. I also know many people in the area who would attend, but don't have a way to hear about it online. If you do organize a swap there I'd be tempted to drive up from the bottom of SC to attend! It would be just another reason to make the trip to see friends and family. I can guarantee that at least 10 people I know from the area would take the day off, just to attend. If this comes to fruition, please let me know. I'll make sure to spread the word in Shelby.
    ---Keith

• aezarien
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fran - Last time I was at Moss lake was when I was five which is a good 30 years ago so I am not familiar with it present day.

The park off of Hudson you are talking about is probably Martha Rivers. It is a nice park with a huge area for kids to play in. The only drawbacks are that you can't see the parking area from the playground and it's hard to get a compass on where your kids are in the playground unless you are right there with them.

• lylesgardens
    15 years ago

Fran, if you remember any details about the Charlotte swap let me know! Thanks!

Lyle

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Hello All!
    If there is a swap in this area I could come, I am in Gastonia! Couldn't go on a Sunday, but almost anyother day would be good! I don't know where Moss Lake is, but it can't be too far from here.

Frances

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Hey Frances,
    Moss Lake is in Kings Mountian right off of Business 74 area. If you do a google search for Moss Lake or John Henry Moss it will come up, or I think if you click on the link I posted it has a general map.

It isn't too too far away from you, not really.

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Can't be that far, I can see Kings Mountain from Garrison (can't see it from my street because there are too many OAK trees!)

I am sure I could get there.

Frances

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

aezarien, since this is your poat I hope you get to come back to the land of the living today... I have my fingers crossed that the part is IN THE MAIL!!!

• aezarien
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Haha.. I had to think about that for a minute. I was thinking.. the part? What in the world is she talking about?

Yeah... I have my fingers crossed too. We called and they said it was actually on backorder and they don't even have it in stock. I miss my laptop. I'm about to have it out with Toshiba.

On another note, we were out by your house last night. I don't know which one it was but I know we were near it lol.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

U went to the drive in didn't u?
    Were those movies good? Stepson wants to see both of them, well so do we...We've seen the one before these, so gotta watch these...you know?

Was Hellboy as funny as the first?
    I know the Mummy has to be, I love Brandon Frasier...hes a hoot.
    We are right off 74, coming from the drive in it is the first rd back to the right, it even has it's own turning lane...

Did you know the One Stop right there at the light got hit by a car over last weekend? It is in the Shelby Star online videos...
    You go ahead and have it out with Toshiba....tell them to send it or take it out of an assembly laptop. you don't care which..and IF they can't do that then send you a new puter!!!
    Tell them you have ppl waiting on you to get back online!!!lol, think that will work?

I have a foot prop next to my desktop and I just slouch over in the puter chair and prop, cuz I can't sit-up long with my back either....

Hope you get it fixed soon...we need to talk about one of us, (or both of us doing it together) setting up a Peidmont Swap!...

• aezarien
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah... we went to the drive-in and gawked at the one-stop too. What a trip. Both of the movies were ok. They were strangely similar to the effect that I forgot we were watching the second movie and not the first... a few times.

If Toshiba doesn't resolve this issue soon I am going to put it in their assembly line. My husband has called every day and still no word on when they will even have it. The sad thing is... I am the computer geek around here. I haven't had to order parts or contact a tech support agent for a good five years now. My house is where computers come to die. Someone's computer dies and it goes in my garage and is assimilated by another computer. If a computer is messed up and I HAVE TO call tech support that means I really need something.

Anyway, I am just complaining now. It's that sleep thing again heh.

{{gwi:580576}}

I still get on my desktop periodically through the day, just can't sit here for too long so feel free to send me emails or talk to me here. I'll get it eventually.

So... first thing is first... are we liking Moss Lake for the location?

And for those of you in the Charlotte Area, we live out a ways but the drive isn't too bad. It's 74 all the way or if you prefer 85 to 74. Probably 45 minutes either way. I know it takes me about 20 minutes to get from Tryon (University City) and 85 to Cox rd. in Gastonia and another 20 to the Mall in Shelby. Moss lake is closer.

And what about a possible date? Theres one in September and October. Do we want to do it this year or wait until spring where we have more time to plan? After the first one, if I have anything left to take to the second I am afraid I might be down to what I have in my burpee seed packs for a third. I will, of course, most definitely, be available to help in any case.

• love2gardennc
    15 years ago

How about waiting until the spring. I am already committed to both of the others and can't propagate that many plants before then.
    I grow all winter in my little GH and would love to see one close in the spring, Les

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

aezarien did you call Moss Lake office to found out about reserving the Shelther? I will either email you so we can talk or here...right now I am too sleepy to think...can u believe it? I am sleepy b4 2 am...

I can't we didn't get the phone in yet...CABLE ticks me off,,, you can order it ONLINE, but then they want a CALL BACK # to varify!!! isn't that STUPID????

And we just don't remember to do it when we are out...I guess it will be next month now, since he spent so much money on me for plants and stuff this month...

I am open to suggestions on when to hold it...
    MS. Les, if it is next spring are you going to share a little piece, just a snip of that lovely black bamboo you have aquired for yourself? LOL
    I went to eBay looking at it, MAN it is expensive...and I am afraid to order it, cuz I don't trust the grows...they could be sending me reg. green stuff, I wouldn't know it until it was grown, and they what'd you do???

Which other swap Les? I know Greer, where is the other one?
    Greer is the only one I heard about...

• love2gardennc
    15 years ago

Fran,
    Bamboos are very slow growing so I doubt that I will have any to share. Another GWber gave me one of the green timber bamboos 2 years ago and it is just now putting out a new stalk. So give me a couple of years.
    I did purchase Black Bamboo on ebay from the Plant Ranch several years ago, when it came it was no larger than a blade of grass and died almost immediately with no response from the trader so do indeed be careful.
    Link below to the other swap. I noticed that Aezarien might be going. Perhaps a few of us might get together and car pool.

Here is a link that might be useful: Triad/Highpoint Swap

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

OH MY GOSh, Les...thanks for the heads up, I have checked out his plants (Plant Ranch ) b4 for, he brags them up on ALL of his sales pages...I thought he would be a good one to buy from, glad his stuff was to high for me to bid on, cus IF I had paid what he was asking and then I got A blade and it died...he would NEVER stop getting emails from me!

I didn't realize bamboo grew so slowly, everything you read about it makes it sound like a monster grower... either way you love me enough to share with me and that is good enough for me ;)!

Going to check info on the swap you gave me info for....car pooling sounds GREAT to me...

• aezarien
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fran - Nope, haven't called but I can. I'll take care of that tomorrow afternoon. What do you think about spring? I kinda like the idea. I like to have plenty of planning time and will have more plants. We could still have it at my house. My yard isn't really cultivated enough to worry about getting a good trampling from little feet. Not only that but my garage holds three cars. Oddly enough it is almost the size of the house. Don't ask me, I didn't build it lol. I could definitely have it fixed up by that time. I would definitely think hard about a waiver form though. I can't afford to get sued LOL. I know, I know, that is kind of weird but a little paranoia is good for the soul and the pocketbook.

l2g - Spring would be better for me too. I plan on putting that propagation bed to good use and will be using my greenhouse to its full potential. I plan to have a few thousand plants by then which isn't too much of a reach because I generally achieve that every season. I stink at cuttings but I can grow just about anything from seed.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Spring sounds splendid to me, since we may be going to 2 swaps this fall anyway, I don't think I could handle 3 back to back...I don't have that many plants as it is...
    Although I am getting things started...

Did you get ur laptop fix or ur on the desktop?
    Couldn't stay away could ya?...lol.

I am headed off to bed...

• aezarien
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm on the desktop still :/

I didn't have any beads to count today so I had to do something with my hands (don't ask).

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Well, I guess there aren't that many of us in this area after all, huh?

I was hoping to get more interest than this...maybe later on it can be mentioned again...

• elaine5678
    15 years ago

Hi, I'm on this side of the earth. Red and I have planned a swap at her house in Clover, SC for September 13, 3pm. We're having a raffle and other fun stuff! I hope you'll think about coming by. :)

• aezarien
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If it is on the 13th I am there...in fact I am so there.. I am already there. Wait.. that doesn't make sense does it? Nurse?

I have something I don't want to do and I am procrastinating. Can you tell?

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!