Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missingtheobvious

Can someone suggest a shrub?

missingtheobvious
13 years ago

I'm looking for a shrub which would be the focal point in one end of a huge long bed which curves across the front of my lawn. The bed is mostly perennials, with evergreens here and there; the tallest evergreens are only 2', though some of the perennials are a bit taller.

Ideally this shrub won't get over 6' tall and 4 or 5' wide -- or could easily be pruned to stay within that size. Multiple trunks are fine, but I don't want anything that'll sucker and end up as wide at the bottom as it is at the top.

I'd prefer the foliage to be green. Any flowers should be red, pink, or white -- or if another color, unobtrusive.

Ornamental is good. Native is good. Fragrant is a bonus.

I'm in zone 7a in the Blue Ridge at 2200'. This area has full sun from mid-morning till sunset.

Everyone suggests a Japanese maple. That seems too common ... but I could be persuaded.

Thank you for your time.

Comments (16)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    13 years ago

I was going to suggest beautyberry but it's fountain shape might become too wide for the space. The flowers are small and pink/rose but the berries that come after are what gives the shrub its name. Generally a magenta/purple or there is a white variety which isn't as attractive.

• missingtheobvious
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for responding! (I should have known better than to begin a thread during the week of July 4.)

Beautyberry is something I've considered, but from what I've read, it's wider than it is tall. I'm still hoping to find something more upright.

• tamelask
    13 years ago

What about styrax or halesia? Or old man's beard (chionanthus)? All are natives that are green, smallish tree/shrubs, with white flowers and should fit your bill. I've seen all 3 growing in full sun as yard trees, though most in the wild situate themselves at least some shade. Also, perhaps a cultivar of the japanese dogwood might do well.

• missingtheobvious
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, tamelask.

When I look up styrax, halesia, and chionanthus, the minimum height ranges begin at 15' or 20', which is why I hadn't considered them, lovely though they are.

Are they something I can keep trimming back to 6' or so -- and have them still look good? [My comparison would be, I guess, a crape myrtle.]

Or are they something that I can keep trimmed back for eight or ten years and then should replace with a younger shrub? I hadn't thought of doing that.

I'm 5'2" and even though I can keep the apple trees trimmed back to 10', in this bed I really don't want to fight a tree that's determined to be a Tree -- and I can't compromise by allowing this ornamental to grow 20' wide as the apple trees do! There just isn't room, and this is the bed I created so I could grow perennials that require sun. Too many big trees in the front yard already.

The ideal thing would be a shrub that looks like a tree. 8-)

• tamelask
    13 years ago

I know styrax grow slowly. Halesia is a kissing cousin with similar habits. I'd think you could trim them. You definitely can trim chionanthes. The specimen one i've seen in the full hot sun is only like 6 or 7' tall, and looks like a small tree. I think because they are normally light shade adapted trees they would probably grow more compactly in the full sun, like dogwoods do. I know what you mean about trimming trees- i have an apple and a persimmon i've kept quite small by trimming. Of course it helps that they are on dwarfing rootstock, but trimming is a big part of it, too.

• missingtheobvious
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you! This opens up all sorts of possibilities....

• mbuckmaster
    13 years ago

Chionanthus may sucker when pruned hard, though...although they're such a great tree/shrub anyway you probably won't mind!

Consider abelia, weigela, lilac, fothergilla, dwarf crape myrtle, shrub rose, or--my favorite for your site--calycanthus. This last one is native, ornamental in bloom, carefree, and highly fragrant (although buy it when in bloom as the scent does vary from plant to plant). There are different varieties...the species is a red bloom with a strawberry-like scent, but I prefer 'Athens,' a greenish-yellow bloom with a scent between cantaloupe and Juicy Fruit gum that wafts in the breeze. Delicious!

You might also consider blueberry, which is just as much an ornamental shrub as a fruiting shrub. But it needs at least two to pollinate, acid soil, and some special planting requirements. Pretty in bloom in spring, fruit in summer, good fall color, and flaking interesting bark in winter.

There are also thousands of Japanese maple choices that are fantastic too!... =) Good luck with your choice...there are many more than I listed too.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

My favorite-to-me new shrub is Ruby Spice Clethra. It sounds like it would fit your requirements.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I wondered where you are located? I was in Waynesville this past weekend and went to the best nurseries I've seen in a long time. Dh was amazingly patient with my nursery wander lust.

• ncgardner
    13 years ago

What about a Chase Tree (Vitex). They have wonderful purple flowers and can be a tall shrub or a tree. A under used plant.

• Claire Pickett
    13 years ago

I have a large Edgeworthia that never fails to bring comments from visitors to my garden. It is noted for winter interest b/c it is covered with little silvery umbrellas during the cold months. In the spring the parasols open into bright golden yellow flowers. In the summer, the green leaves are pleasant but unremarkable.

I got mine at Camellia Forest.

Claire in Sanford

• coorscat
    13 years ago

I have been watching this thread with lots of interest. I also am looking for shrubs for a foundation planting. I need to replace the evergreens. They just aren't thriving. My problem is that the area only gets sun when there are no leaves on the trees..so I have sun from end of October to mid May and full shade the rest of the time(i.e., the actual growing season). I am at 3200" so I stay a bit cooler. Would any of the above suggested plants work?

• Lynda Waldrep
    13 years ago

What about bottlebrush buckeye, Aesculus parviflora? Mine has tolerated drought with no extra water once established, and is now about five feet tall and maybe four feet wide. I love the blooms! It is a fairly fast grower. I planted it in what was once a driveway (bad soil), so it is a tough plant!

I love Halesia, but mine always grow "sideways" rather than straight. I also like Calycanthus. I think both are slow growing, at least for me. Wish you were warm enough for Gordonia. I have had one for about five years, and it is a lovely evergreen. I also love mountain bush honeysuckle,Diervilla lonicera or D. sessilifolia. Some people use Cyrilla, but they have not done well for me. Itea glabra or inkberry has withstood drought, but you will need both sexes for flowering. There are lots to think about.

• User
    13 years ago

Missingtheobvious,
    Chuck Hayes Gardenia.
    Max out at 6 feet, trimmable, cold hardy to zone 6, evergreen, blooms 2x a year, and boy do they smell good.
    The light situation would be perfect for this gardenia, during the hottest part of the year it would get more shade in the hot afternoon.
    Then there is a rose tree. I think the trees are pretty and you can cut it down every spring and trim it when you want.
    I am the same height as you, so I just thought I would suggest some easy shrubs for you.
    Then there are always spirea, Golden globe, little princess, Very trimmable, great foliage and the easiest plants to grow in the whole world. LOL.
    GOod Luck!

• brenda_near_eno
    13 years ago

My styrax, halesia, and chionanthus are 6 feet and have grown very slowly and none have suckered. I love natives, but the Chinese version of fringe tree has amazing golden foliage in fall that lasts a very long time. Start with multiple trunks and you will still get a fountain shape. Chinese redbud also grows slowly and a has a wider shrub-like shape. What about Viburnum macrocephalum 'Sterile', or snowball bush? Lots of viburnums, especially 'Snowflake'.

• coorscat
    13 years ago

ncrescue: I am interested in your experience with cyrilla. I am looking at that for my situation and like that it stays small and compact and is evergreen Was your problem keeping it watered? I don't want anything that is going to be a water hog.
    I was all excited about the bottlebrush buckeye until I found that it would get too big and doesn't keep its leaves in winter.