Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why won't my phlox bloom?

Posted by claudia_sandgrower SC Zone 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 31, 10 at 8:04

It's growing well in part shade, but hasn't bloomed since I put it in the ground in late spring! I don't have a good picture handy, but here's a link to one already on the web:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30647198&l=a207f84c77&id=1140234182

I'd just planted it when I took the photo, but haven't had any flowers since . Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why won't my phlox bloom?

It looks like a spring flowering Phlox. It may be Phlox subulata which won't be flowering in summer.
Do you have a label for it?

o

Ahhh... could be! I bought them at a flea market flower show and they were only labeled "phlox". (This is my first try at growing phlox so I don't know much about them.) Judging from the looks of them in the containers it appeared as if the seller had dug the plants straight out of the ground and put them into pots. They were just a mass of flowers when I bought them... I'm hopeful that they ARE a spring-flowering variety. (More to look forward to next year!) Thanks for the reply, Carol!

o

If they had a mass of flowers when you bought them, they are not garden phlox, which are blooming right now, but creeping ground phlox which will bloom gloriously next March/April. They are doing exactly what they should be at this time of year. Like most perennials, they have a limited bloom period, about a month.

Claire in Sanford

o

@Claire: VERY good news! I was looking for creeping phlox when I bought them - in April! They're in nearly full shade, except for a few of hours of morning sun, and look very healthy. Hope they get enough sun to flower as prettily as they did this past spring... thank you for the extra info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here