Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ferroplasm

When do you start your brassicas for fall planting?

Wyatt Quarles seed planting guide says most can be sown as early as July 1. That seems a bit early to me. Assuming you aren't waiting for any space to open up in your garden, when do you sow your kale, broccoli, cabbage, etc?

Comments (9)

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

In the ground sowing is tricky with our summer heat. Cole crops like 70 degrees for sprouting which is why so many of us sow them indoors under lights. I use my cool basement (it stays around 70, too warm for a root cellar, perfect for veggie storage and seed starting). I aim for the last week in July but often don't get around to it until the first week in September. Success depends on what kind of fall we have.

• thatcompostguy
    9 years ago

I'll add that once it does start getting cold, sweater weather, growth slows down somewhat. My kale looks just like collards with flat leaves until we have that first really cold killing frost and then they get curly like kale is supposed to look.

If I wait till the end of August to sow outside, my collards aren't very large by the end of the year. I'll be trying to start some inside this year and set them out just to see if I can get big ones like they have at the store. I always pride myself on having smaller collards that are more tender and sweeter because they aren't as large and overgrown. But folks at work like the larger ones anyway, so I'm going to try to accommodate them this year. I usually just sort of broadcast the seeds and have a bed of collards instead of a row of individual plants. Some spots are more crowded than others, but even the more sparse areas don't have larger collards either, so overcrowding isn't an issue. I guess I need to think of them as cabbages instead of cut and come again type greens.

Anymore, folks at work are preferring kale to collards. I guess my harping on their nutritional value is paying off.

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

Most often the "grow crops all winter" literature fail to mention that you have to start the seeds in the Summer. There isn't enough daylight in the Winter to encourage any growth. Plenty of plants will handle the cold temps but their size will stay however big they got by September until the days get longer in March.

• tracydr
    9 years ago

Just moved from AZ to Laurinburg,NC. I'm used to Phoenix schedule and I'm trying to find a planting schedule for this region. I'd like to take a half day off of unpacking this week to start some fall seeds and perhaps, get my garden tilled and prepared. The property is mostly forest but they just cleared an area for septic, which will work for the salads, greens and other smaller, winter and spring veggies. I do have a 3 acre pasture which I need to fence and seed for the horses. I'll probably steal 1/2 acre for larger summer plants. Might plant favas and English peas there this winter to start improving the soil. I'm sure it needs lime as my hydrangeas are deep, deep blue.
    I'd also like to plant strawberries, blueberries and some tree fruit. Maybe some grapes, too. I do like to can and freeze things.
    I just discovered a nice sized produce market down the road with shelled peas and beans, plus peanuts and other num-nums. I'm in hog heaven!

• tracydr
    9 years ago

Just moved from AZ to Laurinburg,NC. I'm used to Phoenix schedule and I'm trying to find a planting schedule for this region. I'd like to take a half day off of unpacking this week to start some fall seeds and perhaps, get my garden tilled and prepared. The property is mostly forest but they just cleared an area for septic, which will work for the salads, greens and other smaller, winter and spring veggies. I do have a 3 acre pasture which I need to fence and seed for the horses. I'll probably steal 1/2 acre for larger summer plants. Might plant favas and English peas there this winter to start improving the soil. I'm sure it needs lime as my hydrangeas are deep, deep blue.
    I'd also like to plant strawberries, blueberries and some tree fruit. Maybe some grapes, too. I do like to can and freeze things.
    I just discovered a nice sized produce market down the road with shelled peas and beans, plus peanuts and other num-nums. I'm in hog heaven!

• thatcompostguy
    9 years ago

Hey, welcome to this side of the Mississippi!

• lorabell_gw
    9 years ago

When to plant... Today...inside for me. Next week for some lettuces as well.

Will transplant outside in a month or so..

Tracwydr,
    I'm right down the road from you in Raeford .... Do a show in the Fall there... The john blue festival... Very kid friendly.

Lots of good gardening in this area .... One can eat fresh almost all year around with a little work in the winter months.

Welcome....let me know when you are in my area ....I've extra produce and fresh eggs right now as a welcome gift! Patrioticcrafts@aol.com

• jocoyn
    9 years ago

I am up near Greenville-SC. I started some of mine inside a week ago and they are outside now (in the flat) in part sun.

I have never planted a fall crop so I am not sure .... I just did a calendar based on Clemson timing and days to maturing using a frost date of Nov 1 so.......who knows? I figure I will wait awhile to get them in the ground.

• rodger
    9 years ago

I run a greenhouse and I am also a seed producer for several Heirloom seed companies. July is the month to start most cole crops to have transplants to set out in mid to late Aug.I have even started plants of cole plants first week of Aug. The seeds will sprout just fiine in the heat and sun, don't let anyone tell you other wise. Plants started under lights or in less than full natural sun will be leggy and not do well. But the plants will benefit from afternoon shade till well established. Now is the time to plant carrots and beets for fall/winter harvest.Fall beets and carrots are far superior to spring planted Direct sow in well prepared bed cover with remay or some thin fabric and keep well water at least wet the area 2 times a day you don't want the soil to dry out and these take up to two weeks to germinate. Mid Aug plant fall english peas or garden peas/ spinach for harvest begining in Late Sept/Oct. wait till first half of sept to sow turnips/ lettuce. Good luck! growing a fall/ winter and spring garden is so rewarding. Rodger

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES