Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lylesgardens

Something...odd?

lylesgardens
15 years ago

Last week in my back yard along the fence which seperates my neightbors property from mine, there was a cluster of overgrown (severely) area that was thick with greenbriar and those dreaded sumac-looking trees. The greenbriar had enveloped the first 8 feet of the trees and extended into the canopy making the entire 20 foots area just dreadful and it was like a jungle! Thats not even including the IVY which needless to say, grew over everything else.

So, with my trusty nippers and some gloves, I yanked cut and pulled nearly everything down. Guess what I found?

An old azalea....trained as a small tree about 4-5 feet high. it had maybe 6 leaves on it total ( no sun!).

Now, after an entire week and some days the azalea has a whole new coat of leaves on it! They are like a somewhat limegreen color with darker green in areas.

This azalea DID bloom earlier this year, only a few flowers because it was so covered in growth. I knew it was in there somewhere but didnt think it was tree shape. it's very nice!

So now to the ODD part. After I cleared all this vegetation which by the way it's all starting to grow back esp. the greenbriar,....I have a CARPET of big green leaves and vines growing along the fence now, literally OVERNIGHT....and the vines have big lavendar flowers!

Is this morning glory, and HOW did it get there!?? Could it have always been there but could not grow because of the mass of growth already there, or could it be some other phenonema?

Interested in your thoughts!

Lyle in Concord

Comments (10)