Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlsrulerj

moving from NY zone 5/6 to NC zone 8

girlsrulerj
14 years ago

I am moving from zone 5/6 where I have gardened for 20 years. Besides the crape myrtles and hydrangeas that i know about,I'm lost. I have a acre of mostly grass,full sun in the front, shaded areas in the back.A large empty front porch not a container in site... Help!!!

Comments (9)

• token28001
    14 years ago

Gardenias, camellias, azaleas, daffodils, brugmansia, datura, echinacea, shastas, lobelia, rudbeckia, cosmos, hibiscus, joe pye weed, daylilies, monarda, oriental/asiatic lilies, osmanthus fragrans, verbena, agastache, heucheras, hosta....the list goes on and on. Pick up a copy of Southern Living Garden Book - Southeast Edition. Your local library should have it too.

This really is a sweet spot. We can grow so many things here.

• Teresa Jennings
    14 years ago

Welcome I too am a ny transplant (1 year) This is my first summer.

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

WELCOME to NORTH CAROLINA, I hope you'll love it here if you can stand the hot hot summers that is.

Lots of things will grow well here, some better then others and it also will depend on the area you are in as to what will do well and what won't.

Might want to check with the Co. Ext office to see if they have a list of things that grow well there....

Good luck and hope you love it here!

:) Fran

• K
    14 years ago

If you are near the beach, consider salt tolerance of plants, too. Extension agents are a great help.

• zigzag
    14 years ago

Welcome! Spend some time here reading back thru old threads - a wealth of knowledge and advice for the price of a few keystrokes!

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    14 years ago

girlsrulerj: WELCOME! I have been here in NC for 7 yrs now and can help you get started. I live near Winston-Salem. Where are you moving to??? Please fill out your member page to say where you will be located AND to enable direct emails. Your member page is not set up for anyone to contact you at this time. Perhaps once you are settled here, we can all email you with suggestions later, especially those near where you are planning to settle. You will love it here, I promise. I am from Hackensack, NJ via NYC and Boston, so can really clue you in on the differences in growing climates. It is a very happy gardeners paradise here in NC where we really stretch the seasons. Please join us for our twice yearly plant swaps. They are incredible, posted at the Carolina Exchange link from this page. The next one is in September. You are about to see how many flowers bloom in January. What? Yes! It is true. I have plenty to share. Email me. Welcome!

Here is a link that might be useful: trade list

• girlsrulerj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the info... I forgot to enable direct email.. I'm moving to Roxboro NC will be there around Aug 15th. I also am entrusted with the care of what is known as Ms. Sarahs' rose.She's a climber has clusters of petite deep pink blooms. No one knows where miss Sarah got it from. I must bring it with me. How do you tranplant a rose 600 miles??

• tamelask
    14 years ago

take cuttings & root them. If it's big it would be the easiest way.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    14 years ago

August 15th is pretty often 'hump day' that weird day when suddenly the air isn't as humid and the evening is cool and you know you're over the hump of hot summer.
    Sept can be hot and humid and hurricany but that's pretty much temporary weather.
    Get moved, get in the car and get familiar with the area around your new residence and buy yourself some potted plants for the porch to enjoy while you ponder where Ms Sarah will most like to grow. And, Welcome from the rest of the Northern transplants!

Sponsored
Town & Country Pools, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Discover the Best Pool Builder in Virginia, Maryland & DC!