Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irislover_nc

rudbeckia babies

irislover_nc
14 years ago

Two years ago I planted some WS seedlings of Rud. 'Goldilocks' and Rud. 'Cherokee Sunset'. They are located near my patch of per. black-eyed susans. This year, I got two really beautiful seedlings that had self-sowed.

This one looks like a zinnia it has so many petals. It has been beseiged by bugs but is flowering nevertheless.

{{gwi:581041}}

This one has the beautiful double petals of 'Goldilocks' but the ruddy center of 'Cher. Sunset'. The bloom size, however, is gigantic. It has shaken off the heat and lack of water like a champ.

{{gwi:581043}}

just thought I'd share some pics of the "kids"

Meredith

Comments (10)

• tamelask
    14 years ago

They are lovely! I really like the second one, myself. I love the susans with dark painted centers.

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Very nice indeed, I am jealous. Would you like to trade later LOL. I really would like some of those seeds though they really are pretty.
    I have decided to do a bed with Rudbeckia and one with just echinaceas, these two would be really pretty hehe.
    So if you would like contact me, we'll talk.

:) Fran

• cannadoit
    14 years ago

Your second pic reminds me of a Susan I picked up this weekend called "Tigers Eye"...It's too gorgeous!

I wish now I had picked up atleast another one...I am going to use it in the bed I make around my greenhouse.

Those are very beautiful!!!
    What gorgeous kids you have there momma! :O)

• irislover_nc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everybody. There is something so great about these cross-pollinating, self-sowing plants. I'm a pretty "type A" girl but I like this kind of surprise!

Fran, I don't have any idea what the seedlings will look like but I can get you some seed once it sets.

Meredith

• dottie_in_charlotte
    14 years ago

I'm still re-seeding the gloriosa daisies from seeds I originally brought when we moved here from CT in 1985.
    They're fronting a huge bed of blackeyed susans I grabbed seedheads from in 2005.
    I like the daisies (ruds) with the darkest wide center colorings and found if you save the seeds from the flower you like, its progeny are pretty true to the parent.

• matrixman
    14 years ago

Nice... I like

• dottie_in_charlotte
    14 years ago

Is anyone suddenly noticing rudbeckia heads that are developing with tube shaped petals?
    It must be some kind of virus because this is the first year for this weird sport.
    Some have one or two petals in tube form, some have the newest,youngest flower heads opening early(small) with almost all petals as tube shape.

Getting ready to go out and clip off all the ones so affected.
    I've pulled off a couple of the petals and they are not insect rolled closed but actually a tube shape and the inside,when cut open has no interior black to orange yellow color just solid yellow.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    14 years ago

I know there's a variety with all tube shaped but as I understand it, they are petals that are curled inward. This problem is the petals are true tubes. Any ideas? A virus maybe?

• tamelask
    14 years ago

Maybe. I think tubed petals are cool and would be tempted to leave them, myself. I had some tube shaped-petalled gallardias before fanfare ever came out and loved them. There are other members of the daisy clan that get tubed petals (like cosmos), so maybe it can happen genetically rather than via a virus.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    14 years ago

The original plants date back to 1960. Seems odd that this tubing of petals would first be expressed nearly 50 years later.